Zillow Adds Video Walkthroughs To Its For-Sale Listings

Online real estate listings have undoubtedly changed how people search for houses. Never before, after all, did buyers have this much information available. But while most real estate agents are now savvy enough to ensure that they have beautiful images for their listings, most of these glamour shots don’t reveal all that much about a home’s layout (and occasionally do their best to hide some of a home’s quirks).

3a87fd64ea4c71971a11f2939ae2f63cTo give buyers a more realistic view of what to expect from a home, Zillow is introducing video walkthroughs today. These videos will be integrated right on the service’s listing pages.

Read more here.

• Like 1

This could be a game changer.  Not strictly because "virtual" walk throughs are new or particularly useful, but because this is the first time a major real estate site is hosting video.  Sites like Zillow, Trulia, realtor.com etc. discourage off site links, so getting any kind of video widely distributed to the real estate community has been problematic.  I am hopeful this will open the door to video fly ins or fly overs.  The limitation to 2 minutes and the lack of an audio track is somewhat frustrating, but I think it's time for me to sharpen up my video editing skills.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I personally think video is going to become the standard for listings.

It was a big step to move from black and white adds in the newspaper to color, from color adds to web hosting of stills-video adds will be the new standard just as soon as the realestate agent's competitor starts using them.

The video walk throughs might generate enough new work for a person wanting to quit their day job to be able earn an income while the aerial photography market is still in its infant stages.

I am still looking at UAV's as tools. As much as I would like to be a professional UAV pilot, I don't yet see them as a profession in them selves, but a great addition to other professional lines of work.

• Like 3

The combination of DJI Inspire and Osmo or Yuneec Typhoon and Steady Grip seems like a natural for real estate applications, enabling both aerials and walk throughs with basically the same technology.  My best guess is that walk throughs will be slow to penetrate the market, at least in my area in New Jersey.  The biggest impediment is cost.  I can't see doing stills, aerials and walk through for less than $500, and that's going to be a tough price point.  Face it, that much  work will take at least half a day, and that doesn't include post production. Don't give up your day job - yet.

• Like 3