Jack Telford

We've created a huge UAV news site!

Hi Everyone, 

For a few months, I've been involved in creating a huge UAV news site, packed with original interviews, great stories and all the best vids that we could find online. 

I thought you guys might be interested to see it, and would love some feedback on the site. You can see it here: http://www.dronesfutureskies.com/

Thanks!

Jack

• Like 1

Hi Jack, this area is only to share photos / videos...will move this to a separate thread.

Can you talk a little bit more about what kind of feedback you're looking for? What are your goals with this project? At first glance, it renders beautifully but a little difficult to navigate. I'm not really sure as a user what I'm supposed to do / where I'm supposed to click / what I'm being asked to do.

• Like 1

Hi Alan, 

Thanks for the kind words about the writing! Navigation-wise, there isn't really a recommended way to pass through the site, it's got so much content that we wanted people to just peruse through stories that looked interesting to them. 

As far as the feedback, we like exactly the type that you've just given, the piece was an experiment on our side and we'd love to know what works and what doesn't for people. What did you think of the "flipside" element? That was the most experimental element of the piece for us. 

On 2/18/2016 at 4:53 AM, Jack Telford said:

What did you think of the "flipside" element? That was the most experimental element of the piece for us. 

It was interesting, but it's tough because not all aspects are directly in opposition of each other. Like, "Land Conservation / Agriculture" <----> "Terrorism" didn't make much sense to me.

Still, a beautifully designed site.

Thanks Alan,

Yes, that was one of the biggest challenges for us. We found that there were certain stories which lined up really well, and others where there was very little, and an opposite of the story didn't seem to exist. We lined them up as much as we could, but as you say, some stories aren't opposites, it's more a case of "now you've seen this, you could consider this".

Jack

@Jack Telford It's certainly a pretty site from an aesthetic point and the Flipside feature is a great use of javascript -- great job on that element.

I've built similar sites before and I think one thing you might run into is that you've got a beautiful site with a pretty neat feature element in the Flipside, but the UI design doesn't make it necessarily easier to consume the content and it doesn't hook me into staying on the page. That's my feelings for the desktop version, but when you take the responsive smartphone and tablet versions, it's a much more pleasing reading experience for the user.

You might also want to consider how social media views your site and pages. Right now, if I want to share an individual article of your page, it's hard to do correctly, and the lack of social media metatags in the article leaves websites like Facebook confused about what elements to display for a picture. I think this can be remedied and I hope it's something you look into, but I'd love to be able to share articles from the site. If you need help brainstorming on this, just reach out -- I'd love to help.

You've clearly not just slapped this together in a second and have put some real thought into it and I think you've got something promising going on with the site. Please, keep us updated on how things go. I love that you're thinking outside of the box with your site design. 

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 8.34.40 AM.png

• Like 1

@Ryan S we're just working on ironing out a few last creases on the site (ensuring that all pages are indexed etc.) then we'll be back in touch to give the piece a real push! It's great that you've given us such comprehensive feedback, we will definitely look more into how we can make use of social media in the promotion elements. 

Thanks again! 

Jack

• Like 1

On 2/26/2016 at 3:25 PM, Ryan S said:

Anytime, @Jack Telford . I'm genuinely interested to watch what you do with it. Please drop back in -- I can see plenty of ways to work together. :D

Hi again Ryan, 

Just wanted to keep you in the loop with this, as we're still really interested in working together in some way!

We've been putting a few final fixes on this site over the last week or two, and are hoping to have these all completed by early next week. I'll be in touch when they are! Could you let me know any initial ideas you have about how we could collaborate? 

Thanks!

Jack