Air One

Yuneec or DJI

There are so many options to choose from to narrow it down to the UAV  from these two brands. So my question to those of you that have one of these brands of UAVs or both or have just had the opportunity to fly them I would like to hear your input on some basic questions. I would rather hear the input from current flyers than company sales adds.

I have Looked At Many Many Reviews Online And I would Also Like To Hear From You, Our Forum Members And Guest

My Intended Uses Are Totality Open At This Time And Not Geared Toward Any Specific Use

The Yuneec Q500+ ---- Phantom 3 Advanced

1. Dollar for Dollar value

2. Customer Service

3. Flight Times Are Close

4. Do You Really Need The Longer Flight  Range That DJI offers, there is a big gap between the two... For most Applications Is Distance Important

5. Are Both Suited For Use in Mapping, Great Videos, and Photos etc. From The Equipment That Comes With Them

6. Which Unit Do You Think Has More Versatility And Why

7. Durability

8.Your  Personal Favorite Features Of The Yuneec Or DJI

9. Who Do Feel Offers The Best Pricing And Customer Service To Purchase From

10. And Your Final Thoughts On The One You Like The Most

• Like 1

Glad you started this thread. I think #4 is often overlooked. Sure, flying 3.1 miles away could be fun, but it's not practical for 99% of commercial applications, particularly with the VLOS requirement right now here in the U.S. Wholeheartedly agree with you there.

I haven't dealt directly with DJI's customer service, but for what it's worth I have spoken with Yuneec on the phone a handful of times. Each time the phone was picked up really quickly, and my questions were answered by a friendly support rep.

Some other (scattered) thoughts. There's something to be said for the DJI Pilot App. Also, I think DJI's camera is a little stronger, but they're close and it really depends on what quality you need to get the job done right.

I found the Typhoon controls to not be as responsive as the Phantom. They fly very differently from each other. Finally, I like that Yuneec's transmitter has built-in FPV. The Typhoon also comes with the Handheld SteadyGrip. Different than DJI's Osmo, but you don't have to pay extra for it :)

Hope this helps add to the conversation. Thanks for getting this started, @Air One.

• Like 1

I appreciate this topic, too. I currently just have a cheapish UAV to help get me started with the fundamentals of flying. However, I am already finding myself thinking about the next purchase. I know this is putting the cart before the horse, but I guess it is never too early to do research on the various options. In addition to DJI and Yuneec, I have been eyeballing the 3DR solo and would be interested in individuals' thoughts on it, as well.

Of course, I am months (if not more) away from such a purchase since I still have a long way to go with my basic flight training and it would somewhat ridiculous to drop a grand or more on a system I cannot properly operate.

Edited by Todd F.
typo
  • Like 2

Morning Todd, thank you for the post, as in cell phones and computers, you buy a new unit with all the bells and whistles and a month later its considered old. The same with a UAV

GoPro has their new UAV the KARMA, Alan has posted about the KARMA here, type KARMA in the search area top right.

The KARMA is to be released supposedly the first half of this year. And before my purchase of either the Yuneec or DJI I would like to compare it with the KARMA, only downside to that is being brand new and no real flight testing from a lot of folks.

Speculations have been going around that claim Karma having advanced sense-and-avoid technology, along with immersive 360 degree video recording. If GoPro can deliver on a great affordable UAV, this could help the company make a recovery.

I have not seen much new news as far as any updated information on the KARMA since December posting on the net, time will tell

If anyone has any new info on it I am sure we all would like to hear about it

• Like 1

Hi Air One Member,

Regarding what Alan mentioned earlier about not having dealt directly with DJI customer service. I own the DJI Phantom 2 vision+ and I have tried to contact DJI a couple of times by phone and email and never heard back from them.  I know of other DJI product owners complain about the same thing and that their customer service is almost non-existent.

However, there is a ocean of information on-line and Ytube to answer almost any question or problem you may have and I have found those resources very helpful. 

Now, I personally don’t have any experience with the Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ 

and maybe this is just a small comparison regarding the Typhoon Q500+ and the Phantom Advanced that I am pointing out here, but maybe one to consider.  Where I live the wind can get pretty heavy in these canyons and out in the desert and come up out of nowhere.  So there is an advantage to having a heavier aircraft if you sometimes fly in windy conditions?  Aside from it being a more stable platform… On windy days a heavier Drone will hold up better in the wind and get back to you faster on a low battery.  That is ONE of the reason’s I’m personally considering the DJI Inspire 1 V2.0 for my next purchase coming in at 6.47Lbs.

I noticed that the Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ Weight (without battery and payload): 3.7Lbs. I don’t know the weight with battery, but I’m sure at least a pound more and Alan may know the answer to that. The Phantom 3 Advanced Weight with battery and propellers is: 2.8Lbs.  If you can get 20 to 25 minutes off a battery with the Typhoon Q500+ weighing maybe with battery 4.7 Lbs. that’s pretty good consideration.  That may also make it a little more stable than the DJI Phantom 3 Advanced.

• Like 2

One of the great strengths of the DJI platform is the huge number of drones that are out there.  That means that there are lots of people supporting it, not just DJI itself.  So if you need any kind of part for it, props, battery, landing gear, whatever, you have a really good chance of being able to get it within a day or 2.  If you're thinking of using your drone for business that makes a HUGE difference.  

I fly a DJI P3A and am super impressed with it.  It's been reliable and consistent and is absurdly easy to fly.  I wouldn't consider the new GoPro  because for my use there is just too much distortion in the lens.  But for my next upgrade the new Typhoon H looks very attractive.  Price is good and the idea that you can still land it if a motor quits seems like a real advantage. 

• Like 2

Hi Alan, have you considered any DJI Drone's to purchase? And if not I'm just curious about your opinion about DJI Drones?  I have heard that DJI in the technology realm is at least 5 generations ahead of everyone else.  What are your thoughts about that?

• Like 1

On 2/19/2016 at 4:56 PM, DesCas said:

Hi Alan, have you considered any DJI Drone's to purchase? And if not I'm just curious about your opinion about DJI Drones?  I have heard that DJI in the technology realm is at least 5 generations ahead of everyone else.  What are your thoughts about that?

Big fan of DJI per my "pro" comments above. Waiting on the Phantom 4 to come out before buying one myself, but I've flown the Phantom 1, Phantom 2, Phantom 3, and Inspire before.

They definitely had first mover advantage in this industry, but other manufacturers are catching up.

• Like 1

I am waiting also, DJI is supposed to make an announcement March 1st at 11:00am in NY.  I'm curious to see if they are doing anything new with the Inspire 1 as there are rumors of an Inspire 2.  Hello again Air One, these are also some things to consider before your next purchase.  To see what DJI has up it's sleeve... Happy shopping my friend... DesCas

I too heard that they are making some big announcement, guess will all wait and see 

I do like the idea of having waypoints to fly from and as far as I know the yuneec does not have this option.  With that said it seems nice not sure how much I would use it at this time 

I too put a deposit on the Yuneec H, but now I'm second guessing. DJI does seem to have a few advantages from what I'm reading. I like the Lightbridge technology for realtime video. From what I read, Yuneec has a delay. Even though I'd probably fly with line of sight to the craft, seeing what the craft sees seems important. 

Also, the fact that it uses US GPS and the Russian Glonass GPS seems like it would be better at staying put and knowing where it is. 

With the recent price drops the P3P seems to be a good deal. 

I do like the built in display on the Yuneec. And then there's the new DJI coming soon. 

Aghhh! Decisions decisions..

• Like 2

Ford... Of Course... Not even a question.  Of course my wife drives a Chevy and I drive a Ram. SO what's that tell you? (Gonna need a dislike button if somebody replies: MY wife is smarter than me)  Just Kidding.  Anyway, this is a great question.  I haven't looked into it much as I have been very happy with my DJI P3P.  I love everything about it except that I can't change cameras.  And the price to go to an Inspire is, well... Not inspiring.  I love how the camera is part of the brainbox of the drone so it knows when I'm applying rudder and helps account for this (not a replacement for a smooth operator though, trust me, as my "smoothness" has a way to go but, I do like having full adjustment of input/output ratios  for this reason).  Not much experience with the Yuneec system so forgive me if I state something that both models have. We have a Yuneec Typhoon (not even sure which Model) at work.  I'll ask to play with it so I can at least compare the two side by side.  I kind of like having a tablet for a display. It allows me to choose my OS, and have a backup display (my phone) if for any reason the tablet acts up.  Such as when its 100 degrees and my iPad overheats or when its -20 and my iPad Freezes. (Tip, don't use a cover in summer and stand in shade, use an insulating cover when its frigid out, preheating with handwarmers is good too).  Not sure how reliable or delayed the Yuneec display is but I love having that 720p realtime streaming on my DJI.  The different flight modes are also pretty neat.  Can't say much for the follow-me mode though as it needs GPS on the tablet and mine does not have this... Point of view has some good applications and in comparison to manual flight of the same route and speed would challenge the abilities of most operators (or at least me).  It has a waypoint feature, but I'm pretty sure you have to fly the route manually first.  I haven't personally found this very useful.  Being able to input waypoints on the tablet and then have the drone fly while you pay more attention to filming would be nice. (if there is a way to do this, please let me know).  The batteries on the DJI seem to do pretty good in all temperatures.  Like I said, I have flown in 100 degree weather with the sun beating down and it hasn't fallen out of the sky yet. I have also taken it to -20 degrees and as long as the batteries are kept warm (in my jacket or backpack with a handwarmer near them) prior to takeoff, the heat generated by the battery drain seems to keep it going for the full battery life (which also does not seem significantly affected by the cold)  Not sure what Yuneec has for battery management, but I am happy with DJI in regards to this.  The P3P also automatically updates the battery firmware when you plug it into drone. (assuming a new firmware has recently been installed on drone)  I'm headed to the sand dunes at Glamis, CA next month and will let you know if the sand and heat causes my P3P to fall like Satan from a steeple of if she can fly with the angels!  The sonar feature is nice for indoors but I wish it was accurate above 50feet.  It would be nice to have some kind of laser that gives you elevation AGL info, any idea in Yuneec has this yet?  The phantom does pretty good in wind IMHO.  I flew in 20+MPH winds two weeks ago chasing a Polaris RZR and it obviously could not keep up with a headwind and does get blown around a bit, but by watching the video, you wouldn't even know I was battling wind, crazy how stable the DJI gimbal is! I'll probably be getting a second UAV soon so glad to hear some conversation about it.  I am smart enough to know better than to start looking until I am ready to buy!  I see cookie, eat cookie.  I smell gas, burn gas.  I see drone, buy drone.  Time to start making some $$$ at this to support all my hobbies!!   OOH What's that?  Something shiny... Got to go ;)

• Like 2

PS.  Not sure how distance is rated on these, Radius or diameter, horizontal or diagonal, and at maximum legal height or maximum capable height?  I have taken my DJI out to about 2200ft at 400ft elevation.  Which is about as far as I can see it (if i never let my eyes leave it).  I never lost reception entirely but its pretty weak at that range and video starts to dropout.  Not sure how much further I could go without losing it completely, but I think another 1000 feet would be out of the question.   The sand dunes will be another good place to test this, Should be minimal interference and I can fly from a high point.  Also should be easier to find, if the return-to-home decides to have a bad day...

Rest assured that whatever you buy today will be worthless a year from now. 

It's not going to stop me, but something to understand up front. 

This technology is advancing so fast and from so many different directions. 

Intel, AT&T, Amazon, GoPro and dozens of drone manufacturers. 

I love watching a new technology develop. In five years people will be saying, "how did we get along without drones". :D

• Like 1

I think it is safe to say the P4 has just made all other consumer drones including the P3, Q500 and Solo all but obsolete. ( I just bought a P3 for Christmas- doe!)

Introducing the P4 at the same price as last years P3, is going to make it hard for competitors to take any new market share. 

I wonder if 3DR will stop touting the solo as a "Smart drone?"

I have a feeling the executives at 3DR and Yuneek are sweating pretty hard tonight... Time to update the resume!

The P3 as of today might just be the best deal in used drones going. There will be thousands for cheap on eBay by tomorrow.

I decided to go with the DJI Phantom 4. It has all of the features I'm looking for. 

Good long distance, Lightbridge FPV, 2 GPS systems (US and Russian), long flight time, crash avoidance (front and down), sonar for indoors, quick install props, smart batteries plus new features on the controller like identifying a person or object to focus on and follow. 

The price is good too for what you get. 

I'm considering the Phantom 4 myself.  I know the weight of the Phantom 4, but does anyone know it's demension?  I want to see if it will fit my phantom 2 backpack....

DesCas,

Here are the specs....

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-4/info#specs

I've been looking at the Phantoms for quite some time.  Have had multiple discussions with folks in the field...  Phantom 4 is the right fit for me.  My cousin just sold his Yuneec and bought the new DJI Inspire.  He love it.  The Inspire price is too much for me, and he needed one for multiple cameras, etc.  FYI...

Edited by BassBud