Air One

Editing video and photos as well as adding music to them

I would like to add this topic

Editing video and photos as well as adding music to them.

I would like to get as much input on this for all those including myself that are new to the photo and the video side of flying.

If anyone knows of a tutorial online or there own way of doing it I think it would be helpful and appreciated by many.

• Like 1

@Air One I personally use Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro for video editing, but if you want a pretty powerful and free video editing tool for Windows, I'd recommend Lightworks.

They also have an entire tutorial suite on their website that can help you out and a free beginning seminar that you can schedule: http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=162&Itemid=246&start=v12_5

Edited by Ryan S
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Alan Perlman said:

Big fan of Lightroom for photos and Final Cut Pro X for movies.

I'll always miss Final Cut Pro 7, which was, in my opinion, the best designed video editing program... ever (so easy to use), but even with the new changes, it's hard to beat Final Cut Pro.

• Like 2

Glad you started this thread. I'm in the same boat, very new to video editing. I did some research and found great reviews on Cyberlink PowerDirector 14 Deluxe. What convinced me was how it was rated for ease of use and with discounts was under $50. unfortunately after I paid for and downloaded it found that it didn't support 4K video so I to get refunded and get the next version "Ultra" and paid another $40. So far I like it but can't compare it to anything because it's my first. Here's my first video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YP3ggRdCdg. do any of the freebie's support 4K?

For all of my professional editing I use Final Cut Pro X. I previously used Final Cut Pro 7 and still do for some massively complex projects but for anything to do with aerial reels FCP X hands down gets me from rough cut to final export the fastest. It is very intuitive with minimal training and easily works with 4K footage.

If you haven't heard yet, my friend Brendan and I are designing a course on cinematography for UAV Coach. There will be a post-production element to this course where I will go over the basics of editing and coloring your aerial reels. Keep an eye out for the course as it sounds like it would be a perfect fit for what you want to know! The course should be launching early to mid April.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Aaron Pickering said:

Is it true that Final Cut Pro X is only for MAC and not PC?

@Aaron Yes, since Final Cut Pro X is written by Apple, unfortunately they have designed it for Mac only.

14 hours ago, Air One said:

That would be a very helpful course for a lot of people, look forward in hearing more about it as you progress

Glad you are excited! Brendan and I will also be making ourselves available as instructors of the course to answer any additional questions or issues that arise while you are taking the course and trying out some of the workflows mentioned in the course.

We really can't wait to get it out there for you all!

• Like 1

Great stuff on editing - thank you! Here's another question kind of along the same lines - what is the best way to convey a recorded video from my drone to another? These files are huge - emailing not an option really - is there a web site that allows the upload of a video that only the designated customer can see? I use youtube a lot and there is a private setting but then only I can log in to see it, I believe - was wondering how others work around this? Thank you again!

Jon,

Any of the cloud storage services out there aught to do  the trick.  Drop Box, MS One Drive, Google Drive, etc., etc. You upload to the cloud & send your recipient a link.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jon Hovey said:

Great stuff on editing - thank you! Here's another question kind of along the same lines - what is the best way to convey a recorded video from my drone to another? These files are huge - emailing not an option really - is there a web site that allows the upload of a video that only the designated customer can see? I use youtube a lot and there is a private setting but then only I can log in to see it, I believe - was wondering how others work around this? Thank you again!

With most of my client productions I like to use frame.io It is specifically tailored towards sharing and reviewing video files (or any file) amongst a team. It has awesome collaboration tools built in that allow you or clients to make timecode based notes and even draw on the video to provide examples of a comment. You can create a project folder in frame.io and invite clients and the team into it. The videos can even be password protected and links sent out to people that don't have an account.

They have a free account tier but it is pretty affordable to upgrade to a higher tier if your business demands it.

http://frame.io

• Like 1

On 2/29/2016 at 11:44 AM, Jon Hovey said:

Thank you! I've seen you work - very impressive - do you have a preference? Can I ask which one you use?

Jon,

I'm using Microsoft's One Drive now because of the integration into Office, but I've used DropBox & Google Drive as well.They're all really excellent.  MS gives you a terabyte if you're an Office 365 user.  It's a snap to deliver large files to customers.

Hi All, great topic of discussion.  I am the head of media production for AeroVista Innovations, LLC.  I use Final Cut Pro Mac for editing.  For music production I use Logic Pro and Ableton Live.  Unless one of our clients wants specific music I always compose an original piece for each film and do custom scoring, add FX, Foley, and other audio enhancements.  If a film's musical score is done correctly is can bring the whole visual to a higher level and help guide the viewers attention exactly where you would like it to be. If the music not created or added correctly, it can drag the viewers attention and feelings about the content itself away form the intended experience.  I would be happy to share the technology and artistry of this process.  Here is an example of my work in editing and sound track composition.  

• Like 2

Great Topic, and even better discussion!

I know i will be an outlier here but i will offer up what i use: BLENDER. Blender is an open source, and free, 3D modeling, Animation, rendering program with its own built in clip editor as well as a fully functional non linear video editor. I have used this since 2004 for everything from designing and skining/rigging 3d models to putting together my videos, and even post processing of images or videos.

You can get it at Blender.org

Final cut and the others that are focused solely on video editing will most likely be better choices for most, in terms of learning curve, and familiarity, however Blender offers a full service program that is incredibly powerful, for free with a great community backing it. If you want an idea of what the pros who use it can do take a look at some of the blender open source movie projects. They do one of these every year using only blender... it blows my mind! Specifically look  at "Tears of steel" This is a live action movie with all the 3d, and post done with blender, very cool sci fi one.

Also a little side bar here but one of my clients put me on to a service called "High Tail" at hightail.com, This is a file sharing service with a built in comment system, revisions and versions that allows you to work in the same space with your clients, allowing them to see your photos, videos and any other file.

They can make comments about re-touchs, or edits in videos (this is cool because instead of getting a list of times and having to go through your video a ton; the comments make a marker at that time in the video and you can jump through them to see exactly what they meant. Its free for small use and reasonable for much larger files (if you do videos you will want to get the $15 a mo plan).

• Like 1

I’ve touched upon Blender in the past, while dabbling with digital painting, but it never dawned on me to look at it as a video editing package. This opens up more options/possibilities, thanks for mentioning it here.

I know there’s no way you can give a definitive answer, without knowing my experience/abilities, but do you think it would take long to learn Blender enough to get a decent final product? Just talking about editing aerial footage without getting discouraged to the point of moving to a different canned application.

Love this forum btw

• Like 1