Orangutan39

Hello Everyone

Hello all, 

My name is Chris Davis. A little bit about me: I have my private pilot rating that I got in 2014 and my masters degree in Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Worldwide. I recently found out that my private pilot rating could help me land subcontracting work in the commercial UAV industry. I attended a seminar from a local UAS company here in Illinois that has their 333 exemption and was excited about the opportunity to get into this field. I had no idea how big this industry is getting and I really want to be part of it after what I've learned. 

I currently have no UAV flying experience. I plan on taking the company's commercial operators course as soon as they start offering it and any additional courses. I am interested in 3D mapping and other challenging areas of the UAV industry.  I was informed that it takes about 15-20 hours of flight time to initially feel comfortable flying UAV. I am seriously looking at purchasing the DJI Phantom Professional from Best Buy. I want a UAV that I can later use for business ventures if I can get that going with getting my own 333 exemption, which I hear is a bit of a pain right now. Any thoughts on this UAV platform as a first UAV? I have read a ton of reviews about the DJI Phantom Pro and it seems to be a solid UAV that is within my current price point. If I am able to turn this fun into a business I could always upgrade to better platforms, but right now I want something that has a decent amount of features and is not difficult to learn to fly. 

I look forward to learning from this UAV community and meeting new people. 

Thanks, 

Chris 

• Like 1

@Orangutan39 I'm in a similar purchasing predicament as you. I have a small Hubsan x4 that I've played around with and am probably going to use for some training, but I'm also considering making my first 'big boy' purchase in the UAV/UAS world. Like you, I've looked around a bit and have my eye on the DJI Phantom line as it looks pretty solid and is also in my price range for this purchase. 

The other two that I'm considering are the Yuneec Q500 4K and the 3DR Solo, but it really just comes down to exactly what I want to spend and what I'm looking to get out of it. I'm hoping to look around the forum some more and see everyone else's thoughts on the matter.

As I originally hail from Florida, I'm very familiar with Embry-Riddle -- great school for aeronautics. It's great to have you on here and I look forward to discussing more with you on here!

Ryan

• Like 2

Hey Ryan, nice to meet you. I decided to go with the DJI Phantom 3 Professional. I just picked it up on my way home from work. The other two you mentioined seemed like solid choices too. I just kept coming back to the DJI after a ton of research and decided to go with that one. I won't be able to fly it until this weekend though, but I will let everyone know how it goes. 

Chris

• Like 1