Aloha from Maui! (Property vid inside)

Aloha UAV'ers!  

I'm new to this online community, and thought I'd introduce myself, and share a piece of recent work to get started.  My name is Jonathon, owner of JBR LIFE Photography, located on the beautiful island of Maui.  Primarily, I shoot real estate, although our company also specializes in family beach portrait shoots and the occasional wedding, which we contract out to other photographers.  I keep the real estate and commercial media projects for myself :)

The video I'm sharing today is a high-end property located on the south shore.  These units sell for around $2-2.5M, which is not really an astronomical figure on this island, but higher than my personal home budget none the less. lol  The camera line-up:  Canon 7D mkII, Phantom 4, iphone 7+ (yep...4k vid) & GoPro Hero 5.

Anyhow, I appreciate your time and views, and look forward to any feedback y'all have to give.  All constructive critique is welcome too!

Warmest Mahalo,

Jonathon

• Like 4

Aloha Jonathon,

This video is great.  Good use of movement and transitions.  The colors are great.  I'm ready to move into this house.

I'm going to be in Maui in a few days and I'm looking forward to finding some places to fly (without encroaching on the peace and tranquility that Maui offers).  We have some friends that live on Maui and we have visited quite a few times over the years.  Looking forward to getting some snorkeling time.

Keep up the good work.  Mahalo.

Scott

• Like 2
On 6/6/2017 at 4:29 PM, ScottF said:

Aloha Jonathon,

This video is great.  Good use of movement and transitions.  The colors are great.  I'm ready to move into this house.

I'm going to be in Maui in a few days and I'm looking forward to finding some places to fly (without encroaching on the peace and tranquility that Maui offers).  We have some friends that live on Maui and we have visited quite a few times over the years.  Looking forward to getting some snorkeling time.

Keep up the good work.  Mahalo.

Scott

Aloha Scott, thank you for the encouraging review! When you get to Maui, I recommend taking some time to fly around LaPerrouse, and of course anywhere around Olowalu.

Enjoy your time, and say hello to the honu (turtles) for me while you're snorkeling! 

1 hour ago, R Martin said:

Jonathan,

Outstanding! If that doesn't sell property I do not know what will..

Mahalo my friend! So far, these realtors keep me around, so I'm either doing it right or  I'm just too affordable :)

Pushing up the perceived value with realtors is really challenging.  Are there other techniques or services that realtors or property owners might pay more for?  Your probably as high as you can go, so it comes down to how efficient you can be getting into and out of the property.

Curious about a couple of things.  Do you do this by yourself or do you work with other photographers or assistants?  How long are you at the property?  How fast can you post them?

I've said this before, I really only offer this type of production to friends.  One of the most difficult things for me is once the video is done, is getting it to the realtor and propagating the MLS etc..  The other, which is why I don't focus on this market is the sales aspect of it. If you can sell it, finding people to do the aerial and photography is reasonably easy but it would mean growing your business considerably.

Having said that, I have some suggestions that might help.  

Interior stills I shoot with a 5D3, Alien Bee strobes and do a five shot bracket for photo fusion. Nothing special here, everyone has their own way of dealing with high contrast windows etc..

When I started doing aerial it didn't make sense to me to go to such the effort and expense to shoot with a DSLR and create a look that would give me a competitive advantage and then use a GoPro or one of those crappy camera's that come with consumer drones where everything is in focus and with a very narrow dynamic range.  It was ok at first because people just wanted the aerial perspective.  

I started using the Panasonic GH4 for aerial.  Once I did I could start to extend the look and feel of what I was able to accomplish with my 5D3 into the air.  I started with a Gremsy H3 3-axis gimbal with a quick disconnect, I also got a Metabones Speed adapter so I could use all of my L-glass.  

Here's the part that changed it for me, I'm not trying to talk you into a GH4/5.  The first thing I shoot is the 4K aerial, usually takes up to an hour, rarely fly more than one battery.  I remove the gimbal from the drone (put the drone away), connect it to the "handle bars" and then walk the property inside and out.  Disconnect from the "handle bars" (put them away) and connect the gimbal to the slider or jib if I decide to use them.  If not, remove the GH4 from the gimbal and shoot from a monopod or tripod.  

That whole process generally takes about an hour but generates more than 75% of the video.  There's a couple of reasons why this works well for me.  First you need a gimbal that works the same on the ground as it does in the air, its not finicky, there's no horizon drift, the HD video transmission is part of the gimbal (not the drone) and if you want it to be dual operator all you have to do is turn on the second Tx.    

The Metabones Speed adapter adds a stop, so my f./4's are now f./2.8, it changes the crop from 2.0 to 1.5, so those two things combined I can get some very nice shallow DOF when I want it.  Also shooting in 4K gives me the opportunity to Pan & Scan in HD and the increased dynamic range, compared to the camera's that "come with the" drone isn't even close.  

006.jpg

Hey, thanks for the input!  I've already been eyeballing a Sony A7ii for 4k DSLR video, as well as a drone platform that can carry that camera, just to make everything match, in terms of dynamic range and such.   The GH cameras are also great, so I'll look into those.

Currently, I don't bother shooting 4k with the P4 or the GoPro (only use it for underwater and driving sequences anyhow) because the 7DmkII only shoots 1080p.  So, everything is exported in 1080p.  I do set the GoPro Hero5 & P4 to 2k, so I at least have some room to crop where needed.

I've looked into the Ronin type setups, and my biggest complaint is the low POV.  Everything seems like watching it from my belt buckle.  So, currently I'm using a tripod & slider for the DSLR video clips.  I'm contemplating a high-mount DSLR gimbal, but that is still another thousand dollars (day's work) to expense, and frankly I'm tired of buying doo-dads. lol

For stills, I'm using the 7DmkII & speedlites, along with HDR processing in LR.  This has worked fine so far, and I've been shooting homes in the $20M range with this setup.  I like larger lights, but they're just too cumbersome to be hauling around every day, so I keep rockin' the speedlites (which put out a surprising amount of light).  Unfortunately, however, they don't do squat for video. lol

Since shooting this video, I've started incorporating ND filters on the P4 & the 7DmkII.  Holy moly what a difference!

For the video that I posted above, the total bill was around $1300 (stills + video).  I spent about 6hrs on-site total.  Here's the funny part about that...portraiture on this island runs a standard $300/hr, so I still make out better doing family beach photos.  Go figure!

Ok, now I'm gonna go research the GH cams further and do some cost comparisons.  

Oh, and to answer, I shoot these real estate projects myself, but occasionally have a helper.  My wife has gotten great at doing 3D Matterport scans, and has figured out how to keep 'em smooth, detailed, and prevent people from getting stuck in the showers. lol

Mahalo for the advice!

One question...what drone are you flying a GH with?

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography

I'm using the Gremsy H3, its smaller, lighter and much better than the Ronin.  The Ronin uses the magnetometer from the flight controller for orientation, it constantly drifts, its very temperamental while the H3 doesn't have to be balanced that well, use it inverted, on the top, the bottom,  plug in a battery and it just works.  

I have not used the Sony A7RII, but I have seen one used and the resulting footage and its amazing.  A bit pricey but its a full frame camera that shoots great 4K and 40+MP stills.  I have not seen a GH5 yet, although I think the A7RII is probably much better, the GH4 has been such a dependable workhorse that if the GH5 is as good as people are saying it is I'll probably get one of those.

Here's a video that includes a few of the higher end homes I've shot.  

We manufacture our own drones; six different types of multirotors that can lift 8 to 48 pounds, a hybrid VTOL, fixed wing and a single rotor heavy lift helicopter.  We're considering selling them but it takes a lot to scale up manufacturing and customer support and at the moment we're peddling as fast as we can using what we have ourselves.  But hey, if you need help doing a few property video's in Hawaii we might make you a deal...

_D6A5335-Edit.jpg

Edited by Av8Chuck

Well, that was a beautiful video!

I have another question about the H3.  I've been reading the site, but couldn't find what I was after.  You know how the Ronin has a feature that if you tilt the rig up, the camera will slowly follow, and the same for down-tilt, or panning?  Can the H3 be set up to do the same?  I like the straight locked version, but I also need the tilt function for some of the room entry scenes here and there.

• 1 month later...

While watching the video I'm thinking how the property listing would look in the MLS.  No doubt the video production gets the message out and has the potential buyers grabbing their check book.

What video editing software do you use? 

Seeing that you have multiple cameras, are they all set at the same resolution?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ajhan said:

While watching the video I'm thinking how the property listing would look in the MLS.  No doubt the video production gets the message out and has the potential buyers grabbing their check book.

Aloha, I appreciate you taking the time!

For editing I use FCPX, and the cameras vary in resolution. DSLR maxes out at 1080p, drone is usually set to 2.7k (phantom 4 gives too much flicker and moire @ 4k), Gopro is always 2.7k linear, and iPhone 7+ is 4k.

I don't ever have issues with syncing up the resolutions, since FCPX is pretty smart that way.

On 6/15/2017 at 10:59 AM, JBR LIFE Photography said:

Well, that was a beautiful video!

I have another question about the H3.  I've been reading the site, but couldn't find what I was after.  You know how the Ronin has a feature that if you tilt the rig up, the camera will slowly follow, and the same for down-tilt, or panning?  Can the H3 be set up to do the same?  I like the straight locked version, but I also need the tilt function for some of the room entry scenes here and there.

Thanks for the kind words.  It means more coming from a peer who is actually making a living doing this.

Sorry for not answering your question.  Short answer is yes, all gimbals have "Follow Mode." 

There are only two or three developers of brushless gimbal controllers and the manufacturers of gimbals go a long way from hiding that fact from the user.  Here's the most common one, the one DJI is using: https://www.basecamelectronics.com/

I think you'll probably very interested in this: http://beyondthetime.net/3-axis-gimbal-timelapse/ I have not tried this yet but I'm planning too.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ajhan said:

I'm a bit old school.  OK, I'm just old...  I use FCP7x for editing and DaVinci resolve for color grading.

I do not shoot all the same resolution.  Although I finish in 1080P, I try and shoot mostly 4K, that provides a lot more options in post.  But mixing resolutions is not an issue as long as your finishing in the lowest resolution.

5 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

Thanks for the kind words.  It means more coming from a peer who is actually making a living doing this.

Sorry for not answering your question.  Short answer is yes, all gimbals have "Follow Mode." 

There are only two or three developers of brushless gimbal controllers and the manufacturers of gimbals go a long way from hiding that fact from the user.  Here's the most common one, the one DJI is using: https://www.basecamelectronics.com/

I think you'll probably very interested in this: http://beyondthetime.net/3-axis-gimbal-timelapse/ I have not tried this yet but I'm planning too.

I'll check the link in a bit, thanks! 

I ended up snagging a deal on a Zhiyun Crane. Came with a spare set of batteries and handlebar attachment for $500. So far I'm loving it, and definitely see the need for a lighter camera. Lol. Looking at the A7sII now...