Found some great discussions on here about flying, drones, and overall aviation. I was just certified three weeks ago as a Part 107 pilot and I've enjoyed the community that the commercial drone industry has fostered. I'm currently providing Drone Services with my DJI Mavic Pro, as well as on the ground video production services, and I've loved incorporating aerial perspectives into my latest edits. You can check out my work, as well as my drone reel on my company's website, www.trailmarkerproductions.com

Looking forward to meeting more drone enthusiasts, sharing content, and discussing the possibilities of these incredible machines.

• Like 1

Hey! I'm a graduate student in upstate NY using drones for habitat mapping (right now, mosquitos; soon: ticks; later: hopefully less infectious species). Have built some drones for work, but just bought my first one for personal use. Hoping to continue & improve conservation work!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2017 at 7:24 PM, dronesforconservation said:

Hey! I'm a graduate student in upstate NY using drones for habitat mapping (right now, mosquitos; soon: ticks; later: hopefully less infectious species). Have built some drones for work, but just bought my first one for personal use. Hoping to continue & improve conservation work!

That's fantastic! I'm currently doing some work for OWLA (Owasco Watershed Lake Association) to help them raise awareness on Blue Green Algae and to do thermal imaging to improve identification. Unfortunately I'm only advising for the latter, as I need a drone like the Inspire to add a thermal imager. What drone did you purchase for personal use? Thanks for the reply!

5 hours ago, TrailMarker said:

That's fantastic! I'm currently doing some work for OWLA (Owasco Watershed Lake Association) to help them raise awareness on Blue Green Algae and to do thermal imaging to improve identification. Unfortunately I'm only advising for the latter, as I need a drone like the Inspire to add a thermal imager. What drone did you purchase for personal use? Thanks for the reply!

Oh cool! Have you checked out Flir? I wonder if you could jerryrig it onto a mavic... or options are out there.. I bought a f450 quadcopter with a Naza flight controller for like 150 for research here.. can't fly for long but maybe something like that would work for you.

I've got a mavic too! I'm loving it.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2017 at 3:08 PM, dronesforconservation said:

Oh cool! Have you checked out Flir? I wonder if you could jerryrig it onto a mavic... or options are out there.. I bought a f450 quadcopter with a Naza flight controller for like 150 for research here.. can't fly for long but maybe something like that would work for you.

I've got a mavic too! I'm loving it.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely look into that!

If you haven't already, I would consider the Polar Pro cinema series ND filters for the Mavic, they do wonders for image quality on bright, sunny days.

Here is a link to a pretty small packaged thermal camera that ought to be able to go into lots of smaller drones:  

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/mlx90640-thermal-camera-breakout

I have not used this camera yet but I plan to in the future.  I fly mostly fixed wings and DJI drones.  I do a lot of mapping and wildlife studies using drones.  I am just merging my love of ecology with the capabilities of drones.  Nice to hear there are others out there!!

17 hours ago, seabirdman said:

Here is a link to a pretty small packaged thermal camera that ought to be able to go into lots of smaller drones:  

The range of that camera looks pretty small, I think its more suitable for short distance thermal measurements than longer distances that would be needed for use on a drone.  The thermal cameras used on drones seem to be in the several thousand dollar price range. A couple of camera companies that I've been following for potential use on my DIY drones are

https://www.mapir.camera

https://openmv.io

Edited by Spitfire76

Thanks for sharing those links.  It’s only going to get better and cheaper to do some interesting imaging from drones. I really like SEQUOA too but it is very expensive. Now that SEQUOA+ is released the original one may drop in price. 

Hi @TrailMarker,

Welcome to the UAV Coach Community Forum and congratulations on becoming Part 107 Certified! The work you are doing for the watershed sounds interesting, that could be a very helpful application for controlling algae outbreaks. Have you considered looking at the Mavic Dual Enterprise drone?  It has dual sensors, one of the sensors is a 4k camera and the other is a thermal sensor developed by FLIR.  This could be a great option for you if you are looking to have the option of thermal imaging. 

Here is a link for the Mavic Dual Enterprise: https://www.dji.com/mavic-2-enterprise?pbc=IN4xQqec?pm=link

I hope this helps! 

- Chase 

That is an impressive platform the Mavic Dual Enterprise.  I am more in the mode right now of flying fixed wings and putting my own sensors in.  I have a Phantom FX61 on the build table now that I am outfitting with a Parrot CHUCK and several cameras, including an IR.  I would love to get a used Sequoia multispectral when the price comes down.  Let's keep in touch!!!