Ex Military helicopter pilot - Part 107 requirements

Recommended Posts

I flew helicopters in the Army decades ago, and got have my Commercial, Instrument, Single Engine, Land Rotary Wing ticket. I'm not current, and haven't been for years. (renting helos is big bucks!). Can't really see flying a helicopter ever again, and I've never flown a fixed wing. Questions on getting the Part 107 cert (opinions and legalities both welcome):

Do I just start over as if I didn't already have an FAA cert?

Do I get a Sport Pilot rating and go from there? (I wouldn't mind getting the rating, but time and cost is a factor).

Other options? Any advice or suggestions welcome.


Edited by artwolf
Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the problem your trying to solve.  The cheapest, fastest and easiest thing to do is to take the coarse offered here and then take the test.  

Its an FAA exam, so they aske questions in wierd way, so the test is a bit harder than I expected, but this should just be a refresher for you.  

But if you want to get back into flying then Sport Pilot would be fun, especially if you have access to a plane.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My situation is similar to yours. I retired from flying about two and a half years ago ( mostly helicopters), and did not have a current flight review. Part 107 requires that you take the test like someone without any flight experience. I would recommend that you take the course on UAV Coach then take the test. The FAA test is poorly written/ weird and their course will give you an idea of what to expect.

I just completed the test last Wednesday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the insight. I will likely take the UAVcoach course, then the test. I took the FAASafety course (ALC-451) and passed the test with no problems.

On a related topic, if I get the LSA rating, would I then only have to have biennial reviews over that, even though I have the rotorcraft instrument ratings? Also, unfortunately, the nearest Flight school or CFI is nearly an hour from me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you complete a part 61 rating and meet the flight review requirements, you can take the online test on the FAA web site. Then submit your application to the local FSDO, certified flight instructor, designated pilot examiner, etc. Check out Part 107.63. 

You can do a Google search for FAA Part 107 and download a copy.

I hope this helps. 



Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.