Airspace Authorizations - Two Questions

Need some help from those of you who have processed, or have in process, a request for airspace authorization. 

1) I submitted a request today for airspace authorization. Should I expect to receive any response from the FAA with a tracking number or something else that acknowledges my request is in their system? If so, how soon??

2) Your opinion please - This was my first request - for authorization to fly near a specific airport. There are other airports in my area for which I would like to request airspace authorization. Should I wait until my first request is approved to apply for the others or may I go ahead and apply for the others right away?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

10 hours ago, Jim Brammer said:

Need some help from those of you who have processed, or have in process, a request for airspace authorization. 

1) I submitted a request today for airspace authorization. Should I expect to receive any response from the FAA with a tracking number or something else that acknowledges my request is in their system? If so, how soon??

2) Your opinion please - This was my first request - for authorization to fly near a specific airport. There are other airports in my area for which I would like to request airspace authorization. Should I wait until my first request is approved to apply for the others or may I go ahead and apply for the others right away?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

1) It depends upon your local FSDO. I did not receive any notification during my initial requests for authorization but recently, I received the notification that the request had been received at 1PM and I have the authorization in my hands an hour or so later. It took approximately 28 days for the FSDO to acknowledge that they had received the request....individual results will vary. Be patient.

2) You probably should file for the airspace you need 2-3 months in advance of the time you are going to need to to give the local FSDO time to process (and correct it if necessary). I know it is not always possible to see the need that far into the future but it is going to take about a month at minimum to process the request based upon my experience in the process.

Well, if you wait for your initial application to finish, you're a month minimum into it. If approved, you know you have the right verbiage in your request which you could then use to submit for other airports. If you file a bunch right now and your initial one is denied, you've got a bunch of potential denials coming back. I know its hard to wait, but I would wait to get back word on your first application before submitting more...

14 hours ago, Steve Bennett said:

Well, if you wait for your initial application to finish, you're a month minimum into it. If approved, you know you have the right verbiage in your request which you could then use to submit for other airports. If you file a bunch right now and your initial one is denied, you've got a bunch of potential denials coming back. I know its hard to wait, but I would wait to get back word on your first application before submitting more...

Maybe I am special or just lucky, but all of my request in the last year or more have been handled by the same person. My first batch (3) went kinda rocky, but she called me on each and straightened the information out and I learned what they wanted from that. Once you figure out what the local FSDO wants, just push your paper-pushing button and get it done.

I've seen post here about someone's bad experiences with their FSDO where they claimed the FSDO didn't know what they were talking about, or gave them bad information, or whatever. That has not been my experience(s) in dealing with them. The Fort Worth FSDO has been nothing but helpful and always met or exceeded my expectations. 

13 hours ago, Nick Jubrey said:

Would you recommend calling the local FSDO and explaining what you want to do then filing?

It certainly could not hurt. But do file the paperwork as soon as possible. The authorizations are not an overnight process.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Here's an update for anyone interested - I submitted my airspace authorization application on June 22 and just today I received the following  acknowledgement from the FAA: 

" . . . Your Airspace application has been received. It will be processed in the order it was received by our office. A reference number has not been assigned to your application yet but once it is entered into our tracking system, you will receive a separate email with that information. It may take a few weeks for the second email to be sent. Airspace Authorization applications take up to 90 days to be processed."

To their credit, at least the FAA sent an acknowledgement, which is encouraging. I think these guys are really trying to do the right thing but likely overwhelmed with requests. 

Stay tuned . . .

• Like 1

I don't think many would accuse the folks at the FAA of not working hard to improve this process, however as part of the requirement of the NPRM they aren't supposed to use their inability to deliver their services as an excuse.  90 days us not a reasonable amount of time to get a waiver or airspace authorization.     

One of our staff received the first 333 exemption, they were part of the six companies in Hollywood.  They spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, had to develop all the safety procedures and operation manuals that the FAA used to manage the 333 process and none of it amounted to anything.  None of it is a requirement as part of Rule107, six months after they did all that was required to comply, the FAA posted all the 333 information online and everyone just started cutting and pasting.  The FAA quite quickly stopped requiring individual 333 holders from having to apply for permission, they issued a blanket approval for everyone under 200' (I think).     

They published the 107 standard, if you pass, you should get on with your job, act like a responsible adult and if you break the rules you should expect repercussions.  All of this I have to get permission to fly here, a waiver to fly then, is not going to work.  None of this is necessary.      

• Like 1

I'm a little unclear on this. So to fly in Class D I need ATC permission and a radio. Can that be a simple phone call or do I need to fill out the FAA wavier form? Additionally, I understand that in order to fly in B or C airspace I will need a radio and a 4096-code transponder. Looking online, is that even possible with a DJI Drone??

• Like 1

Great. Someone needs to update the lecture on Airspace Operations under Concepts Relating to ATC Clearances and Permissions.

Another question: If I am operating in G airspace and I inspect a tower, I know I can go 400 feet above the tower. If that puts me in E Airspace where ATC permission is required.  Confirm, I would need to submit a request through the FAA to fly at that altitude? 

On 7/9/2017 at 4:45 PM, RandyW said:

Another question: If I am operating in G airspace and I inspect a tower, I know I can go 400 feet above the tower. If that puts me in E Airspace where ATC permission is required.  Confirm, I would need to submit a request through the FAA to fly at that altitude? 

No, if you fly vertically up into Class E airspace as you're inspecting a tower, as long as you're within 400 ft. of that tower (both the sides and the topmost part of the tower), then you're good. 

But if you're flying up into Class B or Class C airspace, you'd need permission.

• Like 1