Are you offering standard real estate photography?

• 2 weeks later...

Av8Chuck hit it right on the head. In today's ever saturating real estate drone world, few  pilots would have a shoot if airspace was limited and/our standard photography was required.

Our company offers standard photography, video production, 3D dollhouse models, geospatial mapping, and floor plans (can be supplied by infrared scanning or by hand measuring and rendering).

Fortunately, we get to create media for multi-million dollar homes weekly, and that melee requires more than the standard photo shoot.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I Agree, AV8Chuck. The good thing is a photography is a very learnable endeavor. It is, of course, a challenge to learn new things while you are trying to run a business. Realtors like to have one person who can provide them with everything. 

JBR I believe you are in a high-end market. Do you hire employees who are photographers, or work with 1099 subcontractors?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RTV, Inc. - Jay said:

I Agree, AV8Chuck. The good thing is a photography is a very learnable endeavor. It is, of course, a challenge to learn new things while you are trying to run a business. Realtors like to have one person who can provide them with everything. 

JBR I believe you are in a high-end market. Do you hire employees who are photographers, or work with 1099 subcontractors?

Aloha Jay,

Right now I shoot most of the work myself, but will occasionally hire a 1099 sub.

43 minutes ago, RTV, Inc. - Jay said:

You must be a busy guy! You work is excellent.

Mahalo for the compliment! For this year, I've shot over 120 individual properties, with about a 1-2 week booking outlook. I'm a little bit tired these days! My son is moving here in about a month to help out part time, which means I'll be able to surf and play again.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 1/23/2018 at 6:10 PM, AmyBC102 said:

Do you edit your photos? If you are interested in outsourcing Photo editing services, please contact me. 

I edit most of my own work, my son (22yrs old) shoots and edits, and we have one other outside source, local to the island.  I've tried outsourcing in the past, and honestly, it was a flop.  Seems like others just don't see what I see. lol

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

We have had difficulty getting an affordable editing service that will provide the quality we need. Most of the easily found editing services are just running the images through HDR software. I can bulk process my own and match that quality. It would be nice to find a service that would be willing to hand blend at a reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 6:35 AM, RTV, Inc. - Jay said:

We have had difficulty getting an affordable editing service that will provide the quality we need. Most of the easily found editing services are just running the images through HDR software. I can bulk process my own and match that quality. It would be nice to find a service that would be willing to hand blend at a reasonable price.

I'm curious to know, what would most consider a reasonable price for such work?  We hand blend in-house, and it's super efficient (can knock out 100-150 photos in an hour or less), but that's all contingent upon us shooting how we shoot, without our specific & standardized camera settings, and using our custom presets upon import.  So, it would be interesting to see if people send terrible photos hoping for high-end results, and how that would work out on an efficiency scale.

Personally, I'd say that editing at a rate of $3/photo is reasonable.  For an MLS 30-count set, you'd spend $90 for an editor, and the rest is profit.  But, I realize I live in a highly inflated economic area, where milk is $10/gal, and the average home mortgage is over $600,000.  

I hired a video editor a week or so ago, and he's doing great.  I'm teaching him as we go along, but he's already familiar with creative video editing in Premiere Pro.  The time saved is proving to be worth the money spent.  Important note:  this person lives on the same island, and we can communicate in the same time zone...very helpful here.

9 hours ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

hired a video editor a week or so ago, and he's doing great.  I'm teaching him as we go along, but he's already familiar with creative video editing in Premiere Pro.  The time saved is proving to be worth the money spent.  Important note:  this person lives on the same island, and we can communicate in the same time zone...very helpful here.

So disappointed!  I suggest you purchase this house,  

convert it into @JBR LIFE Photography World headquarters, I’ll take the master bedroom, convert the guest house into a studio and edit all of your videos — in the same time zone...

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

So disappointed!  I suggest you purchase this house,  

convert it into @JBR LIFE Photography World headquarters, I’ll take the master bedroom, convert the guest house into a studio and edit all of your videos — in the same time zone...

If only, Chuck. If only...

Truth is, there's no way I'd make this home headquarters. There's no lazy river.

I've done very little drone real estate photography. Most of my clients are RE Salespersons requesting photos for mid-price homes and won't pay the fees that I request. I shoot perhaps 3 or 4 homes a month, I turn down twice that much because they won't pay my fees. I feel my fees are reasonable when considering time and equipment involved, a single family home I charge $200 for a drone or a still ground session, I offer a special for both inside and outside drone at $275 for now.

Most RE Sales people in this area want everything at $125.00; not worth the time to pack up and go to a site.

• Like 1