Authorization

LookingUp

You're correct, that is not the current procedure. You'll need to go to this webpage and file an Airspace Authorization request:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/

they have some extremely informative info on this page, be sure to read it thoroughly.

If you happen to visit the same store again, it would be great if you could share this info from another P107 pilot back with them.

• Like 1

If you hold a Part 107 Certificate, and IF you are conducting a commercial flight, then you would need to request an Airspace Authorization through the web portal.  That is, assuming you are looking to operate commercially in controlled airspace.  In uncontrolled airspace (Class G), you don't need any authorization nor do you need to notify anyone.

On the other hand, even if you hold a Part 107 Certificate but are intending to operate non-commercially (i.e. as a "hobbyist", or as an FAA Inspector said to me "for practice"), then you are NOT required to obtain an Airspace Authorization from FAA.  The aircraft must be "operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization."  You are required to notify the airport authority or management and notify the tower, if there is one. Clearly that is a quicker and simpler process. More info on that can be obtained on the FAA UAS site.  Not sure if this helps clear it up for you or just confounds it even more!

• Like 1

This might be a regional thing, but I can say from first hand experience the tower doesn't want to hear from any drone operator.  

I spoke to the airport manager at KCMA/KOXR and he said there are no procedures in place to make that even possible.  I think the FAA is saying one thing and the people responsible for pushing tin are saying something different. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What @Av8Chuck said back in July is absolutely correct about ATC folks not wanting to talk to drone operators.  And @PatR is also correct about requests for airspace authorization were to be redirected.  That was for Part 107 Airspace Authorizations.  However, under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft in section 336, to this day it still is required that "when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation".  That is not a request for clearance but instead a simple notice that there is an impending operation.  Bottom line is, Part 107 Certificate holders have to request authoriztion through the web portal well in advance and may not even get the approval.  Hobbyists, on the other hand, simply are required to give notice.  Those are the ruies as they currently stand, along with the other points in my previous post.

• Like 1

Yes, I mentioned 336 in the post and YES they are a$$ backwards.  First of all, I consider myself far more qualified to fly within 5 miles of an airport, safely and responsibly, that a plain hobbyist.  I live about 1 mile from the threshold of a particular runway at a non towered airport and literally right under the approach.  I would never even think of flying if that was the active but the hobbyist wouldn't know or care I'm afraid.  Not to disparrage hobbyists at all, I'm just not sure they should be within 5 miles to begin with.  I think you've said it before, we are certificated by FAA, we've shown an understanding of all the principles and regulations, so let us do what you, the FAA, has determined we are capable of.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lloyd@zephyrinspections.co said:

I have a Part 107 Certificate and I am looking for specific guidance for flying over federal land (BLM, National Forest, National Parks, National Monuments, etc.) and wonder if anyone has seen a simple printable .pdf that summarizes?   Specifically, flight over federal land leased to a ski area. 

I haven't seen a tidy one pdf fits all solution.  Generally though,  flying uas from and over federal lands is permitted unless it is a national park,  wilderness area in a national forest, or specifically disallowed for a particular location.

For a ski area in a national forest,  I would guess you would be ok but of course you would need to verify with that specific location.  If the resort was in service,  I would also be getting clearance from the lease holder. 

In all cases,  flight over parks and forest is technically okay.  But taking off and landing there is what is restricted.  Personally,  I wouldn't park right outside the boundary and fly in either in order to foster good will.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3844690.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd493612.pdf

https://www.fs.fed.us/science-technology/fire/unmanned-aircraft-systems/responsible-use

Edited by Dave Pitman
  • Like 1