Airport Operations - Landing Aircraft

Michael A

15 hours ago, Steve Bennett said:

I thought the tetrahedron indicated where the wind is coming from, not what runway to land on? In this image the wind is blowing from bottom left corner to upper right corner. I would land on runway 18 if I wanted to land heading into the wind.

From the lecture, it said that "You land in the same direction as the tip of the tetrahedron". 

3 hours ago, Ed O'Grady said:

Which means just what @Steve Bennett said, as in landing in the direction the tip is pointing to.  As a general rule, you want to land into the wind, as Steve pointed out.

I understand that. But that would require landing on runway 22 correct? Or am I missing something and you just want to use the closest usable runway? 

Hey @Michael A! So the tetrahedron shows which way the wind is blowing. But the runway is also closed. The two indications are not mutually exclusive. For what it's worth, I have yet to speak to a single student who has gotten one of these types of questions on their test. It's a good idea to understand basic aircraft traffic patterns and operations around airports, but I don't believe this particular Figure hasn't been referenced on the Aeronautical Knowledge Test as of yet.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2017 at 10:24 AM, Alan Perlman said:

Hey @Michael A! So the tetrahedron shows which way the wind is blowing. But the runway is also closed. The two indications are not mutually exclusive. For what it's worth, I have yet to speak to a single student who has gotten one of these types of questions on their test. It's a good idea to understand basic aircraft traffic patterns and operations around airports, but I don't believe this particular Figure hasn't been referenced on the Aeronautical Knowledge Test as of yet.

Thanks for the help.  Puts the mind at ease!