Below  I am submitting the final project required for the graduation of  Ariel Post Production 101.  I used iMovie to edit this video. However I am purchasing Final Cut Pro in the very near future. A lot of the editing techniques and controls are similar to Final Cut Pro. 1.  the resolution I used for this video was 1080 P at 60 frames per second.  I showcase this video on UAc Coach, Vinmeo, Facebook,  and Instagram. 2.  I tried to use music that showed the dynamic footage and the  awesomeness of the wind turbine. 3.  I tried to showcase the dynamic size and beauty of the wind turbine I. 4.  The story is a simple one. I'm trying to illustrate  and advertise  the ability to do an aerial visual inspection of the wind turbine. The clarity of the camera and the dexterity of the footage. 5.  Three  important lessons learned in editing this video, 1. Important to find music and the duration  to correspond with the  time you want to display the video. 2.  I wished I captured a higher view encapsulating all the wind mills in the entire area. Looking back should have been more. 3.  One of the important things I learned from the class and editing this video were how to use transitions effectively  utilizing the beat of the music. 

This class  was a great help to me in learning the process of editing video. I highly recommend it.   I'm also extremely interested in the views and advice I can get from others who have viewed this video. Good or bad I'm looking forward to knowing what I can improve on. 

• Like 1

Nice video.

When I tried to watch it on Vimeo it wouldn't play all the way through.  This is outside the scope of the editing class, we do this type of industrial inspection and a couple of things came to mind in how you plan to use this video that you might want to keep in mind.  I'm sure there are a lot of companies trying to figure out what actually constitutes an inspection.

Our customers have strict guidelines on how we inspect and what we use to do it.  Most of our inspections are with a 40+ MP camera like a Sony A7RII and Canon 5DS, so our drones are a bit bigger.  They like video but primarily use stills to collect the data and with very few exceptions would we fly very close to a windmill that is in operation.  They feather the prop and we inspect one stationary blade at a time.

Good luck with your endeavors. 

Hi, Av8Chuck,

I'm flying the inspired 2 what the X5S camera.  Does that camera have high enough resolution to do the job? Also could you tell me exactly what these companies are looking for an inspection. Are they looking for serial numbers, cracks, mix, gouges in the blade?  Do you need an infrared camera or are aerial inspections done without one?  Also what's the best way to get a hold of these companies to get in the door?  I know you hear these questions probably quite often,  but I committed to getting these answers and finding a way to get in the door.  Thank you for all your input and help.

Hi @Derrick Ward,

I am currently on vacation (on a cruise) and have terrible WiFi. Streaming video will not work. As soon as I get back later this week, I will watch and comment on your video. Can't wait to watch it! Sorry for the delay.

Best,

Christian

On 7/17/2017 at 10:07 PM, Derrick Ward said:

Hi, Av8Chuck,

I'm flying the inspired 2 what the X5S camera.  Does that camera have high enough resolution to do the job? Also could you tell me exactly what these companies are looking for an inspection. Are they looking for serial numbers, cracks, nicks, gouges in the blade?  Do you need an infrared camera or are aerial inspections done without one?  Also what's the best way to get a hold of these companies to get in the door?  I know you hear these questions probably quite often,  but I em committed to getting these answers and finding a way to get in the door.  Thank you for all your input and help.

@Derrick Ward

Very nice video!! Nice choice of music, nice length, and nice job of getting across the point of what you were shooting for. I noticed two things to change, but other than that it is well put together.

1.)  There is a shot where the props of your aircraft come into view on the top of the frame. See if you can find this shot, so you get used to looking for things like that.

2.) There are a few shots with awkward mid-shot movements or adjustments of the camera/gimbal that interrupt the cinematic nature of the shot. Try to stay away from including these parts of the shots if possible. See shots at 00:01:00:00 and 00:01:06:00 for examples of what I mean.

Looking forward to seeing a revised cut! If you wanted to show off more of the whole wind farm to the client you could also include some establishing shots of the area and wind farm as a whole.

-Christian

Hi @Derrick Ward 

Well done overall. In addition to some of the comments, I noticed a segment starting at the 1:12 mark where you orbit around the rear housing. Maybe its my own weird OCD kicking in, but I feel like I should be able to see the top of the antenna that gets cut off the top of the frame. Maybe that's not important to capture in wind turbine inspections, I just kept having the urge to want the drone to climb to see the top of them.

Out of curiosity, how did you work with the owner/operator of the facility to capture the video?