NickStan

Passed Exam this morning - Heart of Virginia Airport

I'm very happy to announce that with the help of UAV Coach, I was able to pass the Part 107 drone pilot exam with a 90% score.  

A couple of suggestions:

• It's hard to guess, but I had never seen about 20-30% of the questions on the exam.
  • It is very important to learn the basis behind the rules and class material and not depend on memorizing the practice test answers.
  • Learn all you can and repeat and repeat everything you learn.

I am quite sure I would not have passed it on the first round without taking this course.

Thanks to Alan and Mike for always responding in a timely way to a number of questions I had for them.

With gratitude.

Stan Nickel

• Like 3

That's terrific news, congratulations!

I remember sitting down and the exam's administrator telling me that they were going to test 3 new questions on me but I wouldn't know what they were and they wouldn't impact my overall score. Talk about nerve-racking. Thankfully, I passed as well.

• Like 1

I was thinking about that today.  What would I say to someone who is preparing to take the exam?  A few things:

1.  I took the five practice exams a total of about 12 times.  Two times each and then one more on the last one and another one. This helps with things that you just have to memorize and remember.  It does not help with things you have to figure out like figuring out the AGL and MSL.  If you can fly 400 feet AGL, but the MSL of the airport is 400 feet, how high can you fly at MSL?  That is not something you can memorize.

2.  Make sure you understand the basics of anything you need to figure out on the fly.  For example how much additional weight comes from momentum when you are going on a sloped direction?  It's a simple calculation, but you need to do it.  Find the coordinates for an airport on a chart.  These cannot be memorized, you must figure them out.

3.  There will likely be only one question on the test requiring that you know the NATO phonetic alphabet, but that question could be the difference between passing and failing.  I learned the phonetic alphabet by using it on every car license that I saw when went on my morning walk.  I still hesitate on M and Q, but not more than a second.

4.  Make sure you know everything you can learn about Class B, C, D and E airspace.  G is easy, it's uncontrolled airspace.  But, the hard part is to know where it is.  And, what time of day applies, in some cases. 

5.  Make sure you know that you have to inform the FAA of change of address in 30 days, and inform them of any serious accident within 10 days.  

6.  Make sure you know that the weight of an sUAS must be UNDER 55 pounds and not including 55 pounds.  Make sure you know that airspace restrictions are usually BELOW MSL.  Make sure you know the difference between restricted and prohibited airspace.  Make sure you know how MOA applies to you.   Make sure you know how far below the ceiling you can fly and how you can know where the ceiling is.  

7.  Learn the stages of a thunderstorm.  What does the difference of temperature and dew point help us find?  What is the relationship of humidity, temperature, dew point, condensation, fog?  What is steam fog?  Why is it a concern?  Why is frost a concern?  Pay a lot of attention to the weather lectures.  Look at the METAR and TAF reports every morning for your area and learn what the abbreviations mean.  There could be only one question from a PIREP, but it could be an important one if you miss the exam by one point. 

8.  For sure, learn about NOTAMS and TFRs.  Learn to understand why they are important.

9. There is a lot more, but I'll stop here.

10.  The most important thing is that the FAA exam is not the end of your need to understand all of these things.  You will be using them all every day of your career in piloting remote aircraft.  You may even want to go on and become a fixed wing or helicopter pilot.  

Above all, "Fly right."

Stan Nickel
Just a Newbie

• Like 1

On July 24, 2017 at 4:00 PM, سید ریحان قادری said:

I am prepping for exam any help will be appreciated.

Your best bet would be to take an engaging, thorough, easy-to-follow course like this: https://www.dronepilotgroundschool.com/curriculum/

It pays to be prepared, they do throw trick questions your way and add on three test questions that won't impact your overall score - only issue, you don't know what they are.

I like to think that Part 107 is more than just passing the Knowledge Test. You'll need to know all this stuff when you're out on the field doing work for clients. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1

Greetings, Folks.  Just got a Phantom Pro +, learning to fly it and starting to study for the 107 test.  Pretty daunting.   Interested in Cinematograpy, I'm an experienced aerials cameraman, flown with people you know, Alan.  Paul Barth and Al Guthery in Florida, and the Tamboros in LA.

DSC00006.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Martymullin,
Good to see your picture!   Impressive to me!  If you haven't enrolled already, I recommend the UAV Coach course.  It cuts the daunting stuff down to manageable size.  I think it is well worth the money.  There are less expensive courses out there, but I felt this would do the job.  It did for me.  From complete newbie to passing the exam took me about 31 days.  I did not study night and day and had several weekends and days off from studying altogether.  [BTW, I get no reward for recommending the course.]

You mention the Phantom Pro, I saw  a DJI Inspire in person two days ago.  My brother's friend showed it to me in the living room--we didn't fly it.  But that is a very impressive quadcopter.  It's out of my price range ($2,995 + accessories), but it is an incredible machine.  [Again, I get no reward for saying these things.]

Good skill in taking the exam! 

Stan

• Like 1

YAH---Whoooo    I passed. What a relief!!! thank you Alan. Could not have done it without Drone Pilot Ground School. Getting ready for School startup and our first drone club meeting in late August. Lots to do, Its going to be a very busy year for the TAFT Drone Cub. 

Matt Ernst, M.Ed., A+

My Tomorrow Technology Technician
Google Apps Certified
Taft HS Drone Club
direct cell 513-203-4576

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mernstCinti said:

YAH---Whoooo    I passed. What a relief!!! thank you Alan. Could not have done it without Drone Pilot Ground School. Getting ready for School startup and our first drone club meeting in late August. Lots to do, Its going to be a very busy year for the TAFT Drone Cub. 

Matt Ernst, M.Ed., A+

My Tomorrow Technology Technician
Google Apps Certified
Taft HS Drone Club
direct cell 513-203-4576

Wahoo! Congratulations. Heard you had a good call with @Zacc Dukowitz the other day. Glad to hear things are going so well for you and your club and can't wait to publish our interview with you soon enough :)

Congratulations Matt.  Welcome to The Great Relief Club!  I was very anxious when I took the exam, and anxious about my score.  It turned out the be a very decent score.  I told the proctor that I guess I squeaked by.  It was heartening to hear her say "You did more than 'squeak by'."  Congratulations again, Matt!  

Eight weeks and two days from application.  I now have my official Remote Pilot Certificate wallet card and a real certificate number.  Beautiful card.  

3 minutes ago, NickStan said:

Eight weeks and two days from application.  I now have my official Remote Pilot Certificate wallet card and a real certificate number.  Beautiful card.  

Congrats!