DJI Phantom 4 Announced

Alan Perlman

Hi Alan, could you possibly give us your thoughts on how the new features of the P4 such as collision avoidance, active track, etc. will affect commercial drone insurance rates & policies? It will be interesting to see where the insurance companies will react to this emerging technology? Or will rates actually go up, knowing people will certainly push & test the limits of this new technology and probably make a lot more "stupid decisions" when flying the P4 and are mistakenly thinking the technology will save or help them? I'm sure the technology will get even better over time? But I would hope that policy premiums would start to come down soon due to all the new "safety features" that will be emerging on all the popular UAV platforms now? 

As I'm pretty sure DJI just took the "Guidance" system technology from the Matrice 100 platform and scaled it down for the phantom 4?  But that's a whole other conversation...

Thanks again Alan for all of your help & insight within the drone community!
Rob Buchanan

• Like 1

Some players in the insurance sector are beginning to differentiate between different units as far as pricing is concerned. Some models have already proven themselves to be more reliable and safe. Global Aerospace, for one, prices risks accordingly. Autonomy seems to be one of the key factors. 

As for the Phantom 4, it is too early to say whether the inbuilt safety upgrades will improve accident rates to the extent that they will make a significant impact on insurance pricing. I certainly don't see any downside, apart from the odd operator who believes the safety features will save the day every time. 

The insurance industry certainly welcomes any technology that will lead to safe drone operations. 

• Like 1

I'm super excited to be getting my first DJI Phantom 4 tomorrow!  However, I doubt the Phantom 4 will reduce insurance prices at the moment.  Until it has a full set of sensors on every side, things could still go very wrong with inexperienced pilots.  I expect to see full 360 sensors on consumer priced drones this year, however.  A little birdie told me ;-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody already got their Phantom 4. Lucky ones :)

First reviews of Phantom 4 are better than P3 if I'm not mistaken:

http://dji-phantom4.com/

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-CP-PT-000312-Phantom-4-Quadcopter/product-reviews/B01CFXQZD0/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=helpful

Average rating is 4.5. Does that mean that DJI has finally released a drone that doesn't have any critical malfunction?

• 2 months later...

Bought my first p4 a month ago and with about 20hrs of flight time I decided to try out the sport mode yesterday behind my dads house. While flying in an open field about 9 acres with a tree line around it I started trying multiple maneuvers and as it went zipping by me at around 45mph the breaking and reaction time is greatly decreased and only recommended for experienced pilots. While trying to climb to avoid a tree, well let me tell you I wont be using the sport mode until I get quite a few more hours of flight time. As my dad was yelling pull up it hit the tree at max speed.

Minimal damage falling out of the top of the tree from 100ft up it broke two rotor blades and popped the access panel off the landing gear. The battery also came out on impact. After recovering my p4 I replaced the blades and was thinking the worst. I turned it back on and it give me a green light to fly. It now has a small dent in the outer shell but still seemed to work ok. Very durable.  I've got some of the best pictures from my p4 that just blows everyone's minds.

Would recommend to anyone that is starting out in the drone/uav world.

Thanks Jeremy

• Like 1