Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Achen

Drone Innovation Act

Minnesota Congressman Jason Lewis (R-MN-02) introduced the Drone Innovation Act, H.R. 2930 joined by Representatives Brownley (D-CA-26), Rokita (R-IN-04), and Garamendi (D-CA-03): H.R. 2930 addresses civil UAS flying up to 200 feet above ground level within a state, local, or tribal government’s jurisdiction. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) retains control over the national airspace. The bill directs the Secretary of Transportation to work with state and local officials to develop a framework for local operation, around a set of principles Lewis outlines to encourage innovation and protect privacy. The bill also establishes a pilot program for federal partnerships to assess best practices.

You can read the full text of the bill here: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr2930/text

Flying Magazine also has a decent write up on this new bill: http://www.flyingmag.com/congress-introduces-bipartisan-drone-innovation-act

Edited by Jeff Achen

I went to a concert in the park yesterday.  About 3000 people attended, a beautiful day and great music.  Not a single drone for three hours.  A really drunk woman wrapping herself in a flag, running on stage and taking out half the band members brought the concert to an amusing halt for about ten minutes, but no drones.

I live in the LA area and I'd be willing to wager there are probably more drones sold here than any other city or state and yet I'm still surprised when I see a drone in the wild. Equally when we're flying mission that are about 150- 200 feet most people aren't even aware of the drone [and we fly large drones]

Why are people so concerned about regulating drones?  Where are the accidents, people getting injured or killed by civil drones?  Where's the justification for all this legislation?

I'm not saying they aren't dangerous or that they don't pose a threat to privacy but that's not how the overwhelming majority of people are operating them.   

• Like 2

On 7/24/2017 at 2:07 PM, Jeff Achen said:

Minnesota Congressman Jason Lewis (R-MN-02) introduced the Drone Innovation Act, H.R. 2930 joined by Representatives Brownley (D-CA-26), Rokita (R-IN-04), and Garamendi (D-CA-03): H.R. 2930 addresses civil UAS flying up to 200 feet above ground level within a state, local, or tribal government’s jurisdiction.

So if you aren't part of a government entity, even though the FAA retains control over the national airspace, Congress needs to step in and override their sovereignty and help them out because they aren't smart enough to figure it out for themselves? As I was reading through the beginning of the legislation, I got flashbacks of Bill Clinton wanting a definition of....nevermind. 

On 7/24/2017 at 2:07 PM, Jeff Achen said:

The bill directs the Secretary of Transportation to work with state and local officials to develop a framework for local operation, around a set of principles Lewis outlines to encourage innovation and protect privacy.

Some say innovation, meh, sounds like devolution. Where do we find these clowns and why do we keep electing them to office?

A solution might be to add a clear prohibition in the FAA Re-Authorization Act preventing states and local communities from developing airspace regulations. Enough letters to legislators and the AOPA might accomplish that.

I agree.  If we only had a drone version of AOPA?  

A DOPA!  Does that make us stoners?

Or maybe an ACUAS.org - Association of Commercial Unmanned Aircraft Systems.  You know.  Something like that...

• Like 1