tanderson571

Hobby Regulations Vs. part 107

Are hobbists' (non part 107 folks) required to follow the same rules (under 400 ft, no night flights, ATC clearance for controlled airspace, etc) as us licensed UAV pilots? The area I operate in has Class C and E airspace as well as 4 airports. I follow the rules but I see plenty of drones flying at night, too close to the airport and much higher than 400 Ft AGL. It just frustrates me that despite following the rules and flying safe, others that don't operate commercially are free to do as they please. Thoughts?

P.S. Is there any way to report unsafe flying or infractions? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 2.18.00 PM.png

No they are not required to follow the same rule-set. I really think its the hobbyists who need to be familiarized with the rules they should follow and not commercial ops.

• Thanks 1

@tanderson571, you said, "The area I operate in has Class C and E airspace as well as 4 airports. I follow the rules..."  Based on your question, it sounds like you are operating under Part 107 rules and not as a hobbyist?  Does this mean that you have FAA Authorization to operate in the Class C and E airspaces?

I feel your pain regarding hobbyist pilots that have no clue what the rules are while commercial operators that are trying to do the right thing appear to be penalized. 

On 7/26/2017 at 4:19 PM, tanderson571 said:

Are hobbists' (non part 107 folks) required to follow the same rules (under 400 ft, no night flights, ATC clearance for controlled airspace, etc) as us licensed UAV pilots? The area I operate in has Class C and E airspace as well as 4 airports. I follow the rules but I see plenty of drones flying at night, too close to the airport and much higher than 400 Ft AGL.

Hobbyists' rules are similar but are not the same as Part 107. Hobbyist have more leeway than commercial operators.

As a hobbyist I continually try to update myself on the rules and follow them. I have an airport and hospital with flight ops within 1 mile of where I fly. The airport manager and flight ops manager at the hospital are great. They appreciate every time I contact them about my flights. I enjoy working with the flying community here. That's how we make ourselves great stewards of UA Flight