I have the Phantom 4 .. also the Sequoia cam, also investing in the thermals, high resolution cameras for use in survey mapping, search and recovery .. for both research and coursework / training (GIS / RMS, Pix4D, etc) . I am torn with the inspires as I dont think we can easily switch the cameras/ sensors on the Inspire2?  Was leaning towards the Inspire1?  I am also obtaining a couple of the Phantom4Pros in addition to the Inspires.  We will primarily use units to generate orthos and surface models for remote sensing, watershed modeling ... Any suggestions?

On 8/6/2017 at 2:35 PM, Warren Roberts said:

I have the Phantom 4 .. also the Sequoia cam, also investing in the thermals, high resolution cameras for use in survey mapping, search and recovery .. for both research and coursework / training (GIS / RMS, Pix4D, etc) . I am torn with the inspires as I dont think we can easily switch the cameras/ sensors on the Inspire2?  Was leaning towards the Inspire1?  I am also obtaining a couple of the Phantom4Pros in addition to the Inspires.  We will primarily use units to generate orthos and surface models for remote sensing, watershed modeling ... Any suggestions?

https://www.birdseyeview.aero/ - ~ $21,000.00 w/ sensors and RTK base station

http://www.pulseaero.com/ - Vapor15 ~ call for quote

or the Inspire 1 v2.0 but check first if the sensors you have can be mounted on the airframe. ~$3100.00 with batteries, dual RCs, case, ect.

My first suggestion would be to wait as long as you can before making your purchase decision.  A lot has changed in the last couple of weeks that will hopefully lead to other manufacturers being funded.  

There's quite few very good commercial drone manufacturers that have been unable to get the necessary funding to scale up.  That seems to be changing.  

Your not going to get the level of accuracy required to certify data from an off the shelf Inspire, for an additional $6-$7K  you can add additional technology that will get a DJI from about 6 meters of accuracy to about 10cm.  

If you can wait, there should be more platforms available that can get the accuracy needed.  It won't be inexpensive to get to 2cm, but it is achievable.  

With the price differential it is almost worth just buying a fleet of P4s and fitting them out differently permanently. Refurbed P4's are less than $1000. Adding an Emlid Reach post processed kinematic GPS to a P4 will set you back $400-500 and give you the kinematic accuracy, the unit is easily transferable between drones.

12 hours ago, Spatial Analytics said:

With the price differential it is almost worth just buying a fleet of P4s and fitting them out differently permanently. Refurbed P4's are less than $1000. Adding an Emlid Reach post processed kinematic GPS to a P4 will set you back $400-500 and give you the kinematic accuracy, the unit is easily transferable between drones.

Until you take into account of the short range vs purpose built packages with much better accuracy and the ability to cover 100-200 acres per battery or a mission time of 45 minutes+. I don't have anything against DJI; my i1v2 will eventually get the job done with accuracy in the 1-2 cm range. I am looking forward for the next-gen purchase we will make that will expand our capabilities significantly.

To rely on an airframe that barely doubles my hang time without greatly expanding the range coverage is just not that realistic or cost effective.

Agree with you entirely. As a drone operating company you make your money based on flight efficiency and once you go down that path it makes sense to deliver noncontroversial accuracy. 

For example, as a vineyard with rows spaced 6ft apart and individual vines 4ft apart along the rows pre-processing  for  PPK accuracy before running through automated mapping without the added layer of GCP's does give me the ability to look at a vineyard at a plant level. At 50 Ha (123 acres) per battery the P4 solution suits many small / medium owner operated vineyards.

So as I said, I think we are in agreement, I am just looking at a different market that looks at accuracy in terms of their needs, not that of legislatively mandated numbers.  Of course for any vineyard I would also advocate the installation or permanent machine readable GCP (as per ,for example, Agisoft Photoscan) at about a 40 - 60cm diameter depending on need. These would not necessarily be used every time.

13 hours ago, Spatial Analytics said:

Agree with you entirely. As a drone operating company you make your money based on flight efficiency and once you go down that path it makes sense to deliver noncontroversial accuracy. 

For example, as a vineyard with rows spaced 6ft apart and individual vines 4ft apart along the rows pre-processing  for  PPK accuracy before running through automated mapping without the added layer of GCP's does give me the ability to look at a vineyard at a plant level. At 50 Ha (123 acres) per battery the P4 solution suits many small / medium owner operated vineyards.

So as I said, I think we are in agreement, I am just looking at a different market that looks at accuracy in terms of their needs, not that of legislatively mandated numbers.  Of course for any vineyard I would also advocate the installation or permanent machine readable GCP (as per ,for example, Agisoft Photoscan) at about a 40 - 60cm diameter depending on need. These would not necessarily be used every time.

https://www.propelleraero.com/aeropoints/

This is a solution for GCPs that our local COG implemented in their program. A little outside my budget this year, but I am certainly interested in adding a couple of sets in the future.