Sign in to follow this  

Hello people,

i just passed my 107 and I am waiting to receive my license number but while I wait I am trying to get my company off the ground. 

I have a LOT to learn, like reducing error in drone deploy/autocad transfer basically field to finish work and having it reliable for customers.

Anyhow I would seriously appreciate any advice or help with any of the issues listed above.

Thanks! 

Ray

Hi, @PhanSurvey, what makes you think there's error in DroneDeploy's process?  What do you think is introducing those errors?

Where are you located?  I'm sure you'll find people willing to discuss your concerns.

The fact that it is a GPS location means there is error, I know it is supposed to be a decent location however with my profession I need seriously tight horizontal and vertical locations. Drone deploy is only good for up to 0.5' which unless I use an RTK drone carrying a LIDAR puck and set photo ID points onsite with a known horizontal and vertical location. Or is there a better program than drone deploy?

1 hour ago, PhanSurvey said:

The fact that it is a GPS location means there is error, I know it is supposed to be a decent location however with my profession I need seriously tight horizontal and vertical locations. Drone deploy is only good for up to 0.5' which unless I use an RTK drone carrying a LIDAR puck and set photo ID points onsite with a known horizontal and vertical location. Or is there a better program than drone deploy?

Pix4D is one solution. You are still going to need a GPS or some way to accurately set ground control points to firm up the solution. The GPS on-board the UAS is generally not that accurate unless you have a higher-end commercial UAS that delivers survey-grade accuracy.

• Thanks 1

Are you hoping to become an aerial service provider or do you take the aerial survey, create a deliverable you can certify?   

11 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

Are you hoping to become an aerial service provider or do you take the aerial survey, create a deliverable you can certify?   

I actually am a surveyor and I work for an engineering firm, I am hoping to provide aerial products and orthographic surveys for my company and engineers. Once we have ironed out the bugs I plan on expanding the service to certified deliverable surveys.

Sorry for the 50 questions but most people are trying to turn their hobby into a business and the discussion is very different with someone who basically puts their job on the line certifying the data they provide.

There's a wide discrepancy between drone manufacturers who claim all sorts of things from DJI to MicroDrones.  As someone who already knows the importance and difficulty of getting accurate survey data, you're also probably aware of the costs.

At the moment the costs range from about $30K to $65K for drones that have the instrumentation needed to get the level of accuracy required.  That instrumentation also weighs more than six pounds depending on sensors, so it won't be a hobby grade drone conversion.  As someone who might be new to drones you just need to know that all drones fly, it's not about the drone.  

The accuracy of aerial surveys has more to do with the integration of the payload, instrumentation, drone, and GC so whatever platform you choose it needs to be open and reconfigurable.  That eliminates the consumer drone manufacturers, they're vertically oriented and very closed systems.

If you haven't checked these guys out, you should.  I'm not suggesting you buy one but it helps to see and understand why they're so expensive.  But if you want a platform that produces data you can trust you're going to trend in this direction. 

This is the MicroDrone MD1000, sorry test flights are kind of boring but at least you can see what it is.  Also, you have to forgive the music, its just what it looked like to me...

http://iplayerhd.com/player/7135e140-b85a-452d-b316-282a25bc74c7