k9ric

Introduction

I am the Sheriff of Pickens County and we are starting our UAS program from the ground up.  We see tremendous potential in SAR.  Our plan is to replace our EXPENSIVE helicopter with a UAS team.  I have passed the Part 107 and now I am working on training a couple of deputies.  We see and endless benefit to what we can do for our department.  During this development of the program, citizen’s privacy rights are the core of this program.  Thank you UAV Coach for this forum and the support you provide to the UAV community.  p.s.  did I mention I enjoy flying also!!!!!!

Welcome.  

I have spoken with the sheriff of our county who is a friend.  He says they are not yet ready to jump on board the uas train do to public perception around the privacy issue that you raised.  Our county population is about 75k.  He said that he would be willing to hire our service on a case by case basis at this point but nothing so far.  I'd be interested in what you find as the greatest benefits as you integrate uas.  

I have also spoken with our State Patrol and they have pilot programs going on the use uas to document auto crash scenes for later investigation allowing them to open roadways much quicker than what they are doing now.

Good luck with your program and please do drop in and let us know what works and what doesn't.

We are very fortunate to have tremendous support behind us here.  I went public with our plans and let everyone know that our focus was on SAR.

Good Day,

Tony T. here out of Houston TX.

My family and I have faired the storm well and are fortunate in that regard. However, many of our neighbors and brothers have not faired so well. Calling it a mess does not even come close to an adequate description. I'm a licensed remote pilot here and would like to assist in any way possible. Please let me know if you know if any organizations looking for remote pilots. Thanks and I look forward to continued conversations. Texans helping Texans, Brother helping Brother, TEXAS STRONG!

Edited by Tony T.

Tony, if you will contact your local Emergency Management/Operations agency, they can check the need and location in the state-wide network to see if there is a need for your services.  Sometimes it might be under your Sheriff.  There is a process in place (although overwhelmed) for need and distribution of resources through the NIMS.  Thank you for volunteering.

Edited by k9ric