DesCas

The New DJI Phantom 4 must see video!

Hello Everyone,

I am really interested in purchasing the new DJI Phantom 4.  I ran across this video on YouTube that I thought I should share in this forum.  Here is a must see video that show's that the Active subject tracking, Vision systems, and obstacle avoidance systems didn’t work perfectly, but that’s not a deal killer!  Perhaps these little issues can be worked out with future firmware updates.  I guess it’s all too soon to speculate  

It makes me wonder if DJI released this Phantom 4 a little prematurely without fine-tuning the Drone in order to be ahead of the game on the eve of the new Yuneec Typhoon H release that is coming out sometime in March or April.  Please share your thought’s guy’s and girl’s.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing. I just sold my Phantom 2 Vision Plus V3.0 with the anticipation of purchasing the Phantom 4.  Like anything new, there are little bugs to work out. I think I will wait a few months to make sure enough new models get out to the flying community and DJI updates get worked out before I re-purchase. 

• Like 2

Am I the only one seeing this, because I haven't heard anyone else mention it yet, or at least not that I have noticed.  I have just seen another video (2nd so far) where they are demonstrating the Active Track in Action where this guy in a grass field runs around 2 flagpoles (Start/Finish).  The first time around he is a little far off to the right and the Phantom 4 easily avoids it (he was far enough over to the right where the Phantom may not have hit anyway. But, the second time he runs around the flags, he take a tighter turn to the left where the Phantom 4 flies right up to the flag poles and stops dead and that is great but, isn’t the Phantom 4 supposed to go around the obstacle instead coming to a full stop?  What am I missing here?  What happens if you have to use return to home mode where the avoidance tech is ativated and there is a tree or a mountain in the direct path of the return to home sequence and it stops dead?  If you are out 1500 to 1600 feet away I don’t think that is such a good thing.  Share your thought’s guy’s because maybe I’m missing something here or maybe the Phantom 4 is not supposed to continue on around the object but just come to a stop?

Take a look at this Link and at the second video down the page about half-way and share your thought's.

http://www.visual-aerials.com/phantom4.html 

Edited by DesCas
  • Like 1

I believe that in action track mode, the Phantom 4 is looking for the object it is locked on originally. When the person went behind the flags, the Phantom couldn't "see" him so it went into pause mode. Had he reappeared in a few seconds, I believe the Phantom would have engaged again. This is different from Object Avoidance where the Phantom would attempt to go around or above the obstacle. Return to home would also go around or above to get back instead of simply stopping. At least this is my understanding. 

• Like 1

You may be right Plying Phantom about the difference of action track mode vs Obstacle avoidance mode, but I yet to see a video actually demonstrating the obstacle avoidance feature where the Aircraft fly’s around or above the obstacle.  I haven’t seen it in any video’s yet and was wondering if anyone else has?  In the action track mode I would like to see the Phantom 4 go around the obstacle and have the ability to regain site of its subject like the Yuneec Typhoon H can.

I am considering purchasing a Phantom 4 myself but I’m waiting to see more of it in action… 

Take a moment and look at this video and scroll forward 2 minutes into the video. When I think of tacking OR obstacle avoidance, this is how I personally would like to see the Phantom 4 perform.  I mean if the Yuneec company can do this, I would think that DJI being ahead of the game in Technology can do it better.