Raincast

Wedding Video - ALL Drone footage plus Things I Learned (First Time)

Hey drone flyers! I tried out my very first wedding video plus it's fully shot by drone. I did it for free as my friend asked me to, but because of that I couldn't really give directions to people as to what I wanted them to do or where to go. I listed the things that I learned and hopefully you'd find them useful! Thanks for watching and congratulations to the couple!

Matthew and Alina | Wedding Video

Things I Learned:
1. Drones can work handheld but may be jittery at times and even over-compensate with it's stabilizer when swinging the drone left to right.
2. I prefer controlling with the RC rather than wi-fi because you really can't pitch up and down smoothly without the RC.
3. Setting up a drone can take time. Swapping ND filters because clouds suddenly cover the sun takes time. Switching to 1080p for 60 or 96fps for slow-mo also takes time.
4. Prop sounds are very audible so choose when you should fly, preferably before the ceremony or after.
5. Drones make sounds too when handheld and running. I didn't want to bother any of the guests so I kept away if I could.
6. Finding free wedding songs is somewhat impossible. Any sites would be welcome!
7. I don't have close-ups during the actual wedding because I wasn't getting paid and felt bad for getting in there.
8. Working solo can get you to miss stuff that happen only once in a wedding. I had to drive to where the bride was prepping, then the groom, then back to the bride, straight to the venue, etc. so it was a lot of work.
9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots.
10. My positioning could have been better, but I didn't want to go where the professional photographers were hanging around in.
11. I enjoyed doing this wedding and am sure I can do a better job next time!

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2017 at 4:19 PM, Raincast said:

...9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots....

Honest Perspective!!!  Love it!!!

xD

• Like 2

I was totally expecting a crap video, who shoots a wedding with a drone!? 

I was pleaseantly surprised, it was a very well done video.  Nice job.  However, I'm sure you've heard the expression, "right tool for the job."  This video proves it can be done but a drone is not the right tool.

looked like a great wedding.  Congratulations to your friends and for producing such a nice video for them.

• Like 1

Well, I gotta say, I'm impressed!  I too was expecting a 'meh' kind of video, but it wasn't that at all.  If I could offer any single piece of advice (not that you need it), it would be to practice your roll-step.  I can see your hip-wiggle in the hand-held shots where you're walking.  Try bending your knees a little, engage your core, and control your breathing.  

Thanks for sharing this!

• Like 1

On 9/25/2017 at 9:52 AM, Av8Chuck said:

I was totally expecting a crap video, who shoots a wedding with a drone!? 

I was pleaseantly surprised, it was a very well done video.  Nice job.  However, I'm sure you've heard the expression, "right tool for the job."  This video proves it can be done but a drone is not the right tool.

looked like a great wedding.  Congratulations to your friends and for producing such a nice video for them.

Hey, sorry I never got a notification of replies to this thread! Yep a drone was not really ideal for the job! I'm still waiting for an Osmo 2 haha

Thank you for watching!

On 11/2/2017 at 12:01 PM, JBR LIFE Photography said:

Well, I gotta say, I'm impressed!  I too was expecting a 'meh' kind of video, but it wasn't that at all.  If I could offer any single piece of advice (not that you need it), it would be to practice your roll-step.  I can see your hip-wiggle in the hand-held shots where you're walking.  Try bending your knees a little, engage your core, and control your breathing.  

Thanks for sharing this!

I agree! There are some shots that I hoped I could honestly retake, but there's no time for that at a wedding I guess. It was painful seeing my footage sway even though I was moving my drone as slow as possible.

Dude, you have nothing to worry about here. That video was super cute! Excellent use of b-roll and motion. Your slo-mo scenes were perfect. Your perspectives were awesome. Really well done. While other cinematographers might notice some of the issues, which are real, the average person would not notice them at all. And that's who pays for it (or would be, in your case). You could easily make decent money doing this on weekends. Especially considering you know what the problems are and how to fix them in the future. 

• Like 1

As a relative new comer to video production I hardly noticed anything about that video that needed "attention"

In all honestly it was only after I read the posts here a second time could I pick out certain issues, so rest assured normal folks just think it's an awesome video with great editing.

• Like 2

I'm new to this drone and looking to get in the industry for construction purposes. Video looks very nice for being your first. Keep up the nice work and best of luck with your business.