Hello everyone! I have a question which I've posted to FAA but I haven't heard back from them.

I am a Canadian living in Vancouver. I have a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced. As far as I know, in Canada, only drones heavier than 25 kg/55 lb are required to be registered, so mine is not. My question is: Do I need to register with the FAA if I want to do some flying with my Canadian drone in the US?  Also, are there any border-crossing regulations with a drone?

Any input or correction will be appreciated.

Anthony Marr 
cleardot.gif
Edited by Anthony Marr
typo

Hey @Anthony Marr, you're correct about the rules in Canada. As long as you're not operating commercially, you don't need to register your sUAS unless it weighs over 35kg.

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-standards/Info_graphic_-_Dos_and_Donts_for_flying_your_drone_safely_and_legally.pdf

As far as flying in the U.S., here's the official response from the FAA:

Q11. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for drone competitions required to register?

A. Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA's online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

• Like 1