Recommended Posts

Hello everyone! I have a question which I've posted to FAA but I haven't heard back from them.
I am a Canadian living in Vancouver. I have a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced. As far as I know, in Canada, only drones heavier than 25 kg/55 lb are required to be registered, so mine is not. My question is: Do I need to register with the FAA if I want to do some flying with my Canadian drone in the US?  Also, are there any border-crossing regulations with a drone?
Any input or correction will be appreciated.
Anthony Marr 
Edited by Anthony Marr

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Anthony Marr, you're correct about the rules in Canada. As long as you're not operating commercially, you don't need to register your sUAS unless it weighs over 35kg.

Here's a good place to start:

As far as flying in the U.S., here's the official response from the FAA:

Q11. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for drone competitions required to register?


A. Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA's online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.