E Torres

Studying for Part 107

Have begun to study for my license with the goal of sitting for the exam late October.  Currently a part time real estate agent but want to expand that business to include aerial imaging of properties.   Any tips anyone can give me as I study for the exam will be greatly appreciated.  Looking forward to learning from all in the Forum as I venture into this new exciting world of drone aerial imaging.  

• Like 2

You mean other than signing up with UAVCOACH?????  (https://www.dronepilotgroundschool.com/)   What kind of learner are you?  Do you need a structured program or can you pull together all you need for the test from different sources?  Defore I knew about UAV Coach, I bought a basic book (ASA publication) and used that as a guide for my study.  I would complete a chapter and then review Youtube, and search online for test questions and build off that.  Rupprecht and https://3dr.com/faa/ are great resources.  See if that helps or is a structured program what you need to invest in.

Edited by k9ric

If this helps any, I looked at the Aeronautical Information Manual at 764 pages and then the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge at 524 pages and decided that instead of reading those cover to cover and hoping I'd be able to ferret out the parts I really needed, I would rather find some kind of flight training school to shorten the time.  As it was, I did find UAV Coach and thought that this was exactly what I had in mind.  I glanced at a few other online training websites, but settled on UAV Coach--it wasn't the cheapest one!  

It turned out that after 30 days of on-and-off, but intensive studying, I took the exam on the 31st day and passed with 90%.  I've done a lot of studying in my life and have a Ph.D. to prove it, but this was about the most enjoyable "book-learning" experience I have had in my 73 years.

UAV Coach saved me a LOT of time and possible aggravation.  Even after reading 1288 pages of FAA manuals, I doubt I would have passed the 60 questions with the requisite 70%.  

As of a couple of days ago, I finally got my real certificate from the FAA. (Two months.) I am happy that I passed the TSA background check--there is no particular reason why I shouldn't have, but it was good  to know that they approved anyway.

Edited by NickStan

Other than signing up for the UAV coach forum I would watch some youtube videos on regulations. Honestly, the part 107 exam from UAV coach is solid and I would feel comfortable saying that if you are acing the test exams you will be set. Focus on whatever your weaknesses are and repeat those classes.

Hey @E Torres, happy to answer any specific questions you have, either about our program or the many other study options you have available to you out there. 

Like others have said in this thread, ultimately depends what kind of learner you are and what kind of studying environment / approach is going to be the best fit for you. There are semester-long courses, there are week-long training workshops, there are half-day seminars, there are workbooks, private tutors, YouTube videos, and the FAA's own free study materials as well. We fit into the 'online course' option, and even then there are plenty to choose from :)

More on our approach over here: http://dronepilotgroundschool.com/curriculum

Again, happy to answer any questions you have about studying, about the certification process, etc. You can email me directly at alan@uavcoach.com.