cdyoung42

How do you manage the inbound leads/pipeline side of drone business?

My name is Carson, from beautiful southern Utah. Been flying drones for a long time, but pretty new to this forum. 

Coming from another industry, I'm often surprised at how much I see people talking about the 'back end' of drone business but rarely the 'front end' of capturing, tracking, and closing leads. Especially managing their upcoming pipeline and business projections. 

Have any of you found amazing solutions that I'm somehow missing? I'd love to hear how you stay organized and manage your lead pipelines.

*note* I am a CRM (customer relationship management) admin and designer by trade. So I've actually decided to get busy building a custom solution for this since I don't see any good ones available. Once I have that refined a bit more, I'll share info about it here for others that may want to improve this front end aspect of running your drone businesses. 

You bring up an interesting issue.  There isn't enough attention being paid to the business workflow.  In early adoptive markets, the overwhelming amount of development is on the technology.

There's a good reason for that:

18 hours ago, cdyoung42 said:

Coming from another industry, I'm often surprised at how much I see people talking about the 'back end' of drone business but rarely the 'front end' of capturing, tracking, and closing leads. Especially managing their upcoming pipeline and business projections. 

Most of the people talking about the "back end" came from other industries whose products and services are targeted at the early to late majority of the technology adoption lifecycle.  The commercial drone industry has yet to cross the chasm between the early adopters and the mainstream.

So in a way, you're looking to solve a problem in advance of the technology's ability to add enough value that anyone is willing to pay for the data collected.  Which means a huge percentage of the commercial drone market are probably single proprietors making less than $100K/year.  How many leads do you think they have to manage?  How much do you think these companies are willing to pay to manage them?

I don't think the application you're looking for exists in this industry yet.  So no, you're not missing anything.  

Welcome to the quandary that is the commercial drone industry...

• Like 1

Great point that you bring up here...

17 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

in a way, you're looking to solve a problem in advance of the technology's ability to add enough value that anyone is willing to pay for the data collected.  Which means a huge percentage of the commercial drone market are probably single proprietors making less than $100K/year.  How many leads do you think they have to manage?  How much do you think these companies are willing to pay to manage them?

The sole proprietor pilots that are 'early' on the scene right now probably don't see a big enough pain in lead management that they have demanded a solution from the market yet. And small businesses are always the hardest to convince to shell out some money for a fancy new 'solution' that they don't deem 100% necessary. 

But lets say that the improved efficiencies of lead management help you close just 2 or 3 more leads in a month (lets pretend that value is $200 per lead, so $600 per month more) and the tool that makes this possible costs only $100 per month, that is an incredible ROI!

I have seen an extremely similar situation in the real estate investing world which I am well acquainted with. Small business owners get trapped with slow growth as they work inefficiently, but once they finally realize that buying tools to streamline the process is worth it, suddenly their 'small business' can take off at scale. 

Yes, it looks like it might still be a bit early to provide solutions like this, but I think it's time that development starts happening to help this 'front end' of drone business management. 

This is all quite exciting to me, I will see what I can do with this!