Stella

Buying guidance DJI Matrice 200/600 or other?

Hi Everyone!  I'm a student here studying for Part 107!  Hope everyone's doing well : )  I'm interested in getting some feedback about my options for buying a drone with specific specs for a project I'm working on.  OK so here it goes:

Carrying capacity of up to 8-10 lbs

Transmission distance at least 3 miles

Ability to fly at least 6 miles roundtrip

I have been looking at the DJI Matrice 200 & 600 but I'm sure there are alternatives out there...just don't know enough about all of the different manufacturers yet!  I suppose a fixed wing UAV would also be an option.  I really appreciate any help I can get as a newcomer here!  Thanks!! 

Welcome.

A couple of things, I'm not being a stickler for the rules but commercial operations are restricted to Line of Sight LOS.  If you want to break that rule, that's your decision but for those distances, you're going to need more instrumentation than just a WiFi downlink and a 2.4GHz transmitter.  Which adds weight and consumes more power.  

Also, 8-10 pounds is a significant amount of payload for a multirotor, an M600 with that much payload would probably only fly for 10 minutes and not get you anywhere near six-mile endurance.  An M200 probably wouldn't get off the ground and even if it did would require way more than 50% throttle to hover.

What mission are you trying to accomplish?

3 hours ago, Stella said:

Hi Everyone!  I'm a student here studying for Part 107!  Hope everyone's doing well : )  I'm interested in getting some feedback about my options for buying a drone with specific specs for a project I'm working on.  OK so here it goes:

Carrying capacity of up to 8-10 lbs

Transmission distance at least 3 miles

Ability to fly at least 6 miles roundtrip

I have been looking at the DJI Matrice 200 & 600 but I'm sure there are alternatives out there...just don't know enough about all of the different manufacturers yet!  I suppose a fixed wing UAV would also be an option.  I really appreciate any help I can get as a newcomer here!  Thanks!! 

http://www.pulseaero.com/uas-products/vapor-55

That should carry a payload that you are planning on but whether or not it is compatible with the UAS is another story. It should also have the range if you are able to get the waiver that BVLOS is going to require.

Thank you Av8Chuck, I appreciate your feedback!  I will be applying for a BVLOS waiver soon...I've also heard that the FAA is working on streamlining the waiver process in the near future, thankfully.  My mission is top secret ;) but I will share my results once I complete this project!  I did talk to DJI customer service and they felt that the M600 would be able to handle 8lbs for that distance but of course could not guarantee that to me.  With the M200 I'd have to reduce weight to 4.5lbs according to them.  Do you have any other alternatives in mind?  Rest assured I will not be attempting this until I get my Part 107 and the BVLOS waiver.  Thanks again!

Thank you to R Martin also!  The Vapor55 looks awesome, I will be contacting them tomorrow with some questions.  I appreciate the tip!!

Any other ideas or thoughts about what could work would be great :)    

If your mission is secrets you probably shouldn't use a DJI...  sorry that was too easy.

here's some information in another thread about our drones.

what your asking for is not easy.  Totally doable but it probably has more to do with your development methodology than simply the capability of the drone.  

We've been supporting quite a few customers with SBIR research grants for "secret" missions.  Also our flight control system works with MR's, fixed wing and single rotor helicopter.  

This video shows how our MR's can be easily reconfigured to fly from 22-36 pounds AUW.  

If your interested in more information you can email me at chuck@aerialalchemy.com.