Dan Leone

Hello from Houston, Texas

Hello everyone!!

My name is Dan Leone and I currently live in Houston, Texas.  I just received my drone license not to long ago and I’m currently looking for a drone job.   I’ve done some work for Drone Base but they keep sending my pictures back for some odd reason.  I currently own a Yuneec Typhoon.  I was told it is the top of the line as far as drones go.  If any of you live innHouston or in surrounding areas, drop me line.  Any help is appreciated.  I like to get on with a company that flies drones.  Where do I need to look?  Any help is appreciated.

Dan

When you say a "drone" job what do you mean?  

Drones, especially toy drones are not terribly difficult to fly and a 107 certification is not expensive or hard to get so why do you think people will pay for this service if that's what you offer?

I know I'm being a jerk, but the point is that even for something as straight forward as real estate photography, most people making money in that vocation just add drone capability as part of their service.  They're a realtor or photographer and the drone adds value to existing business.

if you want to make money with drones then you have to figure out how to capture aerial data that means something to your customer.  That is actionable, that solves a problem.  

Totally do able.

3 hours ago, Dan Leone said:

I do have my Part 107 license.  I have a Yuneec Typhoon.  Do I go to real estate companies and drop off a resume to tell them I’m a Part 107 drone pilot?

You need to do more!  For one most realtors have no idea on the 107.  That is something they don't care about minus their liability for negligently hiring the kid on his skateboard.  For starters you need to show them your work.  It always boils down to your work and what your end product is.  

You have a Yuneec Typhoon, not a bad system, but so what?  What makes you different than the thousand other people in Houston who have Typhoons, Phantoms, Mavics and other like platforms?  Also what are you providing?  Ok you get some various elevated shot angles of a house.  The realtor probably only finds a couple of those useful in most cases.  If i'm a realtor and you are drone pilot.  I need exterior shots, but I also need interior as well.  Do I have to hire you and someone else?  Well chances are no, because that someone else also provides drone work in addition to interior work.

Well now what do you do differently?  Do you know your camera?  Can you expose shots without auto everything.  Do you know why a DNG file is way better than a simple JPEG.  How bout shooting in log if Yuneec offers it,  Can you do multiple exposure bracketing for those divers lighting areas, where there is a lot of shade under trees but the house is bright and blown out.  Can you expose a shot where the shadows are still somewhat in tact, but the house can be exposed better.  Those are fundamental things.  They matter to get the most out of the image.  Its knowing and understanding those things which separate you from any Joe that can buy drone.  These concepts apply to the interior as well.  Two separate exposures are usually useful for those interiors without having to use external lighting to keep the windows from being blown out.  You have to sometimes do one exposure for the room the other for the window.  Lightroom merge and adjust light and color appropriately to get the look you want. 

Study photography.  Lots of online tutorials on this.  Toms Tech time as well as Tony Northrop have a lot really good information for exposing properly with drones.  There are others for traditional camera as well.  At the end of the day one carries over to the other.   

Thanks Shaun!!

I’m still learning about all of this.  I still don’t know a whole lot.  Where can I go to get tutorials? I’m always open to suggestions and tricks of the trade.

26 minutes ago, Dan Leone said:

Thanks Shaun!!

I’m still learning about all of this.  I still don’t know a whole lot.  Where can I go to get tutorials? I’m always open to suggestions and tricks of the trade.

There are literally several if you google photography tutorials.  Toms's Tech Time, on You tube.  Tony Northrop is a good one.  DPreview5d i think its called.  No film school is another one, mostly for video.  All of these are relevant.

If you want to produce property videos here's two choices, (1) learn how to produce the entire product: http://photographyforrealestate.net/.  You need to be able to offer realtors a complete package video/stills, (2) find a full service photographer who needs aerial.  

The problem with choice two is that aerial in most property videos generally represents less than 20% of the screen time so you should expect the same percentage of the budget.

I'm in Houston lets make it happen. Need to get 107. and I don't have a drone at the moment ,but will to learn from you. One thing I do have is a phenomenal eye for good shoot. I cant explain how but I do . Anybody in Houston please reach out to me.

Chris

37ounces@gmail.com