R Martin

LAANC Fast-Track Requested by FAA

Where to start with this mess?

As a107 operator, we all want the process of authorization to be as fast as possible.  But in this case the FAA is asking to circumnavigate the NPRM process  siting their concerns for safety and they are using the only midair with the Blackhawk as justification.  

The threat drones pose to the NAS is way overstated and the FAA are using this hyperbole to justify policy that isn't necessary.  This is a bad precedent and it's one that the FAA uses all too often.

1 minute ago, Av8Chuck said:

As a107 operator, we all want the process of authorization to be as fast as possible.  But in this case the FAA is asking to circumnavigate the NPRM process  siting their concerns for safety and they are using the only midair with the Blackhawk as justification.  

The threat drones pose to the NAS is way overstated and the FAA are using this hyperbole to justify policy that isn't necessary.  This is a bad precedent and it's one that the FAA uses all too often.

But wait; it gets better. Skyward is now a vendor for airspace authorizations apparently and they are going to become one of the clearinghouses for authorizations per the announcement today. Another wait and see. 

I just got an invite to a Skyward webinar and thought I would share the sign-up link.

http://go.skyward.io/laanc-webinar.html?

Skyward and LAANC  Thursday, November 9th @ 10:00AM - 11:00AM (PT)

"On October 17th, the FAA approved Skyward to provide instant access to controlled airspace as part of the new Low Altitude Airspace Notification Capability, or LAANC. The FAA is launching the program starting with four airports and will be rolling out more in the coming months.  

Getting authorized to fly in controlled airspace has been a major challenge in the U.S. In this webinar, we’ll show you how we’re simplifying the process and what the outlook is for the coming months. If you're unable to attend, go ahead and sign up, and we'll send you the recording of this webinar along with future LAANC communications.

Learn more about LAANC and see how to get access to controlled airspace in just two clicks! Here’s what we'll cover:

• Controlled airspace: before and after LAANC
  • What this means to businesses that use drones
  • The logistics of flight planning in controlled airspace
  • Authorization and status updates

Up-to-date resources for future airspace access"

Edited by R Martin

11 hours ago, R Martin said:

I just got an invite to a Skyward webinar and thought I would share the sign-up link.

http://go.skyward.io/laanc-webinar.html?

Thanks for the link.  I signed up and received a confirmation.  They asked for questions to be emailed in advance and I sent in the following.

Hi Guys.

This question may be more appropriate for the FAA, but here it goes.

From what it appears,  the LAANC system seems superfluous.  What I mean is that if regulations for flying UAS in controlled airspace were developed as they should be.  The Remote Pilot could simply research the area they plan to fly for airspace, TFRs, NOTAMS, etc., and determine if and when they could fly the mission.  After all.  that's what pilots have been doing for decades.

Is this extra system necessary because the FAA feels that the Remote Pilot certificate is a lower tier level of airman and need a little extra scrutiny?  If this is the case, why not put the effort into getting the Remote Pilot requirements up to something that the FAA can have confidence in?

It's quite possible that I'm missing something and I hope to learn why a system like LAANC is necessary for Remote Pilots.  But full scale pilots can be trusted to follow published regulations and procedures without such a system.

Thank You.

Well said @Dave Pitman.  Of course, Skyward will pass the buck and simply say you should pose that directly to FAA and then you'd never get an answer that was worth a damn thing.  Your point is a good one - if they don't see us as responsible enough, then make it harder to qualify.  We can debate this ad infinitum but we won't change it.  At least not on the short term.  Reminds me of where I live - until the good 'ole boy network is gotten rid of, nothing will change.  I'll be tuned in to that webinar.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, Av8Chuck said:

Av8Chuck wrote:  "We're on standby to fly the burn areas in Northern California, I logged in to check TFR's, what a clunky antiquated way of presenting data."

I have previously asked about approved operation in B, C, D and E airspace and don't have a good answer.  Why the clunky bureaucratic antiquated apparatus when the regulations only require authorization from ATC? 

14 CFR Part 107 Subpart D, § 107.41 says:

"Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small
unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C,
or Class D airspace or within the lateral
boundaries of the surface area of Class
E airspace designated for an airport
unless that person has prior
authorization from Air Traffic Control
(ATC)
."  (emphasis mine  -vb)

and,

§ 107.205 "List of regulations subject to
waiver.  (h) Section 107.41—Operation in
certain airspace."

Where does approval from the FAA come in?  I mentioned that I once called the local tower in Schenectady NY (KSCH - by telephone) and told them I was flying with five miles and they thanked me for the call.  I was low and slow to be sure, but had no issues.  My rhetorical question is, why the clunky bureaucratic apparatus if the regs only require approval of ATC?

Thank you,
Edited by Victor_Bravo
misspelling

So a couple things...

1. The reason (i believe) they don't have as much confidence in us is because we took a written test. We might have no clue how to actually fly a drone. Full scale pilots took years of training to fly and had to pass a "Flight" test for their license.  So yes, even though i am part 107, i would like to see them have some kind of flight test for us as well that will give them the confidence in us to fly on our own.

2. I have met with several folks from the FAA and the tower is NOT supposed to be providing authorization! For part 107 pilots,  that is not going to cover your ass if something goes down. While that one guy in the tower might have said, "Sure go ahead" they are not authorized to do so! I am sure there are airports that are inundated with calls constantly. They don't have time for that! Right now it is the FAA authorization process that takes 3 months but that is why LAANC will be so great! The FAA contracts out the process and gives them (Skyward) the information and they all work together to make this process. I for one think it will be great! I travel for work and never know where i will be flying with enough notice to get authorizations.

If i am flying for recreation and call the airport to inform them i am within 5 miles, that is fine, but i am not flying for recreation.  I am getting paid for my pictures and prefer to follow the FAA rules. While for the most part "They'll never know" I'LL KNOW!

Bottom line-Obviously the rules are not perfect but the world of drones is clearly moving a little to fast for the FAA!

• Like 1

On 10/22/2017 at 4:10 PM, Emily said:

You write:  "I am sure there are airports that are inundated with calls constantly. They don't have time for that! Right now it is the FAA authorization process that takes 3 months but that is why LAANC will be so great!"

I don't disagree, but the burden does not then fall to Part 107 certificate holders.  It falls to the FAA.  Having "... met with several folks from the FAA ..." does not address the regulatory issue either wherein Subpart D 107.41 clearly requires "... prior authorization of ATC."

Thanks.

On 10/25/2017 at 6:36 AM, victorbravo77 said:

I don't disagree, but the burden does not then fall to Part 107 certificate holders.  It falls to the FAA.  Having "... met with several folks from the FAA ..." does not address the regulatory issue either wherein Subpart D 107.41 clearly requires "... prior authorization of ATC."

Thanks.

It's in your definition of ATC.  If you contact the tower over the radio and they give you a phone number to call, I suggest that you don't call it.  They are not telling you to call to give you permission!

If you call the number for the tower from the AFD then they might politely tell you to go away.

On 10/26/2017 at 3:28 PM, Av8Chuck said:

It's in your definition of ATC.  If you contact the tower over the radio and they give you a phone number to call, I suggest that you don't call it.  They are not telling you to call to give you permission!

If you call the number for the tower from the AFD then they might politely tell you to go away.

Hasn't been my experience.  Nonetheless, I understand the broad latitude afforded the Administrator.  Certainly the FAA has administrative authority over ATCs in the NAS.  Simply changing the three letters in Part 107 from "ATC" to "FAA" may have helped clear up some confusion.

Thanks!