Rylan Loemker

Opterra - biggest challenge(s)

Well, where do you start! There isn't just one 'biggest' challenge. I think the biggest challenge is every small challange and I am sure they are summed up on this forum.

As an MBA student, you would think it would come easier - but no it doesn't. Some skill sets can be easily applied but it takes more than just whats learnt in textbooks.

But if I was to honeslty answer the question - the biggest challenge is finding the time to do all the things needed, namely:

- write your business plan
- build the website (and the SEO)
- training and practice
- putting together marketing material and good quality examples for potential clients
- setting prices correctly (some companies are charging huges amounts - I know I can't do this if I want to win work)
- winning work
- procedure, manuals, check-lists and more
- licence and other redtape

....and much much more.

There is just not enough TIME. But at the end of the day it is still fun and the challenge is what keeps my interested.

Cheers,

Rylan

I might add. I work full time. Luckily enough that Local Government is very flexible and I can take time off. Although at the moment my Thursdays are working from home (while caring for a 6 month old) and Fridays are annual leave (looking after the 3yo and 6 month old)!!! Nights are spent studying and working on the business!

• Like 1

Rylan,

I'm sure you have a better handle on business plans than I did, and even what I know now, but I found the business plan builder on sba.gov extremely helpful to get started. I've deviated it from it somewhat, but the basics are still there and it helped me get past my initial writer's block.

SEO can be important, but I also know that Google changes their ranking algorithms on a regular basis, so we will always be behind in what they are looking for. Keywords are a good way to get higher in the rankings, but backlinks seem to be more important.

Jason

• Like 1

@Rylan Loemker, so happy to have you here and look forward to helping you...get things off the ground.

Pun intended. Ha!

Starting a business is tough. There are 100+ super important things to do, and not enough time to get them all done. I think the toughest skill-set to build is the art of focus and prioritization.

That, and validating your business idea by getting in front of customers AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

It's much easier for many of us to write a business plan or even to build a website, but actually picking up the phone and calling potential customers? Whether or not we can admit it, that scares a lot of us.

Anyways, I think your head is in the right place.

I'll be releasing a lot of marketing/website-related lecture content tomorrow, so hopefully you can at least get things going there in the near future!

Appreciate you taking the time to jot these bullet points down.

• Like 1

Thank you Jason and Alan,

Funnily enough, I am not too bad with cold calling. Actually I found the best place to start is with the warm introductions - a contact of a contact. It starts the conversation and doesn't turn the potential client away. For example, I used a glazier friend of mine to contact all the builders he subcontracts to and see if they want profile marketing shots of all their finished projects - or before an afters etc.

I have also gone to people I have worked with before - real estate agent I purchased land from and a friend who is in marketing and production. I also contacted a friend who is a rap artist to see what contacts he had that would get value from my service.

Regards,

Rylan