Nicola Valenti

Hybrid Drone with 6 hours of flight time

59f1defc67289_192010802.thumb.jpg.1320306223a4159fbbddb26bf00c7a62.jpg

At the moment drones could fly only several minutes, but imagine if you get hours and hours of flight time, imagine if you get 5 kg of payload, this will be useful for thousands of purposes, from delivering humanitarian aid to package delivery.

Finally, we can get it. First hybrid system for drones was designed at NASA and it's really similar to what we are doing here (you can see the NASA system here:

Basically, it's an alternator connected to a gas motor, it is very similar to the system that is improved in your car to keep the lights on, the difference is that it's thousand times lighter.

This is the project of the generator

59f1e024a41f7_PROGETTOGENERATORE.thumb.jpg.6f0efd66866fd705dc47e5e2d8621aaf.jpg

The gas motor has a power of 3hp that is transmitted to a brushless sensored brushless motor, the current then passes through the diode bridge rectifier and a tension regulator, then charge the batteries.

This generator can provide for 2Kw, this is enough to sustain the entire drone systems and lift also 5 Kg of additional payload

If you want to stay informed about my project please sign in this newsletter: http://eepurl.com/cUJnJr

• Like 1

On 10/26/2017 at 12:18 PM, Nicola Valenti said:

Wow! thank you, I didn't know this project, are there other threads about it? or information? (I'm new here)

Thank you

I as far as I know that's the only post on this forum related to using a diesel generator to prolong an UAV's flight duration.

Edited by Spitfire76

Hi, yes, we are almost done with the development process, (we are in testing phase) this version of the generator is less efficient than the four-stroke version (that we are still working on) but it is really light and you can put it on almost any aircraft that has a minimum payload of 1.7 kg (1.5 of generator plus 200 grams of control system).

On 4/19/2018 at 9:29 AM, Nicola Valenti said:

Hi, yes, we are almost done with the development process, (we are in testing phase) this version of the generator is less efficient than the four-stroke version (that we are still working on) but it is really light and you can put it on almost any aircraft that has a minimum payload of 1.7 kg (1.5 of generator plus 200 grams of control system).

Mainly because of its weight and vibration it causes I didn't think that a diesel generator was a good idea at first but it seems that it might be the best solution to extend flight duration on multi rotors. I see that these guys are also working on it.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/gas-hybrid-drone-made-in-florida-poised-to-change-the-game#/

Edited by Spitfire76