Hello! This is my first time Posting on here. I just had a question relating to flying within 5 miles of an airport. My question is if this applies to ALL airports, big and small, or just the bigger airport. I live in Logan, UT and the entire valley is covered by class E airspace starting at 700 FT. AGL. Obviously this means if I am within the allowed 400 ft. then i shouldn't have any issues. The airport is shown within this controlled airspace area but does not have any addition boundaries (its a small local airport). Does the 5 mile rule still apply here? The reason I ask is because I get lots of real estate work here and because this town is small, practically every job is within 5 miles of the airport. This means i'll have to request permission from the FAA for every job and then have to wait 30-90 days for jobs that take me about 15 minutes to shoot. most jobs i don't even have to fly higher than 50 ft to accomplish what I need to. What brought this question to my attention (i just assumed all airports had the 5 mile rule) is i just made a pilot profile with Skyward and was looking at Logan with the flight planner map that shows airspace limits and it didn't show any restrictions for my area which it made me wonder if the 5 mile rule doesn't apply here.

sorry for the novel but if anyone has any advice or has an answer to my question i would really appreciate it.

thanks

Liam

Below I have attached the sectional chart image for my area.

59f37b834cc15_CacheValley.thumb.jpg.7ca18ded6ff3c3e0eb070dd6d4c19f0c.jpg

Edited by Liam
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Liam said:

I just had a question relating to flying within 5 miles of an airport

If you are flying commercially under part 107 then its my understanding there is no 5 mile limit. That applies to recreational flying. On the other hand if flying commercially you will need permission from the FAA to fly in any controlled airspace and that distance and shape varies depending on the airport. If I am not mistaken the E airspace around Logon has a floor of 700 ft so I believe you don't need authorization. 

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to our community forum, @Liam.

Confirming what @Spitfire76 wrote. If you're flying commercially under the Part 107 regulations, the distance from the airport doesn't matter. Well, it's a consideration, but let me explain.

What matters is not whether or not you're 5 miles from an airport. What matters is if you're in controlled vs. uncontrolled airspace. If you're in uncontrolled Class G airspace, no notification / permission / authorization is required to operate at that airport.

Of course, and this is why I said "consideration," if you're operating near an airport, you're not allowed to impede any manned aircraft or airport operations, so it's a nice best practice to get a sense of what's going on at the airport. To consult the Chart Supplement, to make a phone call if you'd like, to maybe even get a VHF radio so you can tune into aircraft chatter for stronger situational awareness. None of this is required by the rules, but it's worth considering depending on what kind of flight ops you'll be doing.

And like @Spitfire76 said, from 0 ft. to 700 ft. AGL, you've got Class G uncontrolled airspace, since the Class E controlled airspace doesn't start until 700 ft. AGL.

We're doing our best to track the airspace authorization process over here as it's changed quite a bit over the last year, and we suspect with the new LAANC program that it'll continue to change over the next year as well.

Hope this answers your question, please consider us to be a resource for you when it comes to airspace stuff like this! Safe flying out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Liam

Good answers all around, the one thing that's left out is must make contact with your local airport manager.  Most airport managers are a friendly lot (there are exceptions).  Go out to the airport and sit down and have a conversation, let them know what your doing, give them the confidence that you're a safe operation and you're a licensed UAS operator and I doubt you'll have any problems with them.  You can also apply for a 333 exemption, this can take some time as the fed's are up to their eyeballs with drone stuff.

Regards;

Edited by B Ervin

3 hours ago, B Ervin said:

Good answers all around, the one thing that's left out is must make contact with your local airport manager.

@B Ervin check out the following table.

59f4c2b921c73_ScreenShot2017-10-28at10_47_13AM.thumb.png.a6e8fb4fbc5204dea7a18991607f3838.png

Link to above - https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

So if flying commercially there is no must to contact the airport but if recreational flying within 5 miles of an airport there is a requirement. 

3 hours ago, B Ervin said:

You can also apply for a 333 exemption,

I believe that this is no longer an option and to fly commercially you must obtain a part 107 certificate which is much easier anyway. 

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to put the B4Ufly app in the last comment... The FAA has an App that works on Android, Apple and windows systems you can find it on the various app stores  "B4UFLY"    You actually have the airport and two heliports (Hospitals) close by...... I'd worry about the heliports more than the Airports, Technically they count as well. 

The only problem I've seen with the app is that it has a lot of ghost airports.  Ghost airports are airports still on the register but long closed, most are privately owned but former owners never bothered to tell the FAA that they are closed.   I live on a airport community and have three ghost airports and a municipal airport within five miles of me, but that's life in the Dallas area

IMG_0230.pdf

Okey Dokey,  Well this is why I signed up..... to keep up on changes and learn more stuff :D

I work and teach close to the Class B surface area and in a class D,  I think that's where my confusion comes from...

Edited by B Ervin

9 minutes ago, B Ervin said:

The FAA has an App that works on Android, Apple and windows systems you can find it on the various app stores  "B4UFLY" 

Quote from the B4UFLY FAQ.

"Q. Is B4UFLY intended for commercial operators or hobbyists?

A. B4UFLY is really geared toward users of unmanned aircraft who fly for hobby or recreation. The app parameters are set up in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336) in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. However, we expect civil or commercial operators will also find aspects of the app useful, and we will consider future enhancements"

36 minutes ago, Spitfire76 said:

Quote from the B4UFLY FAQ.

"Q. Is B4UFLY intended for commercial operators or hobbyists?

A. B4UFLY is really geared toward users of unmanned aircraft who fly for hobby or recreation. The app parameters are set up in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336) in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. However, we expect civil or commercial operators will also find aspects of the app useful, and we will consider future enhancements"

Yes.......But its still a good app to check the area around where you plan on operating!  Plus it will give you a warning about Temporary flight restrictions, which will get you in trouble if you fly in them, even if you're a Part 107 Operator.

Edited by B Ervin

53 minutes ago, Spitfire76 said:

I believe that this is no longer an option and to fly commercially you must obtain a part 107 certificate which is much easier anyway. 

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/

It still is an option if you are doing any of the things mentioned in the operating rules (over people, at night, in a airport surface area, over 100 mphB|, etc) although I'm pretty sure its going to change as well. 

18 minutes ago, B Ervin said:

It still is an option if you are doing any of the things mentioned in the operating rules (over people, at night, in a airport surface area, over 100 mphB|, etc) although I'm pretty sure its going to change as well. 

You can request a waiver for those as a Part 107 holder

https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/

31 minutes ago, Spitfire76 said:

You can request a waiver for those as a Part 107 holder

https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/

Yes you can!   I also just saw something about a proposed web based application process, but haven't had a chance to look at how that's going to work??   Have heard much about that yet?

Edited by B Ervin

59 minutes ago, B Ervin said:

Yes you can!   I also just saw something about a proposed web based application process, but haven't had a chance to look at how that's going to work??   Have heard much about that yet?

Its only for airspace authroziation and not waivers they still have to be approved on a case by case basis by the FAA. 

https://uavcoach.com/skyward-laanc/

I recently did a shoot for a client near a small local airport with no tower and informed the manager that I needed to perform a drone operation in the nearby airspace. They gave me approval so I did my shoot. On my B4Ufly app it does not show any airspace class for the airport. My DJI go app gave no fly zone message and let me perform the operation after authorization.

There are also many private airfields near me as I am in a rural area mostly farmland for crop dusters. I had to use http://www.airnav.com and I found the contact info. For these types of airstrips do I need a waiver or just contact and get approval? Are these ghost airports?

Edited by Spot of Blue
add text

1 hour ago, Spot of Blue said:

I recently did a shoot for a client near a small local airport with no tower and informed the manager that I needed to perform a drone operation in the nearby airspace. They gave me approval so I did my shoot.

Where you in controlled or uncontrolled airspace ?. If controlled and operating under part 107 its my understanding that its only the FAA that can give you approval not the local airport manager. If your shoot was in uncontrolled airspace then you don't need approval from anyone but must give precedence to manned aircraft and any call to a nearby airport is just out of courtesy.

1 hour ago, Spitfire76 said:

Were you in controlled or uncontrolled airspace ?. If controlled and operating under part 107 its my understanding that its only the FAA that can give you approval not the local airport manager. If your shoot was in uncontrolled airspace then you don't need approval from anyone but must give precedence to manned aircraft and any call to a nearby airport is just out of courtesy.

@Spitfire76 is correct. If the airspace you were flying in was controlled airspace (e.g. Class E surface, Class D) then the FAA MUST approve your flight.  The only approved way of getting that approved (until LAANC) is available at your airport, is to submit your request using their online web portal.  https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/request_operate_controlled_airspace/  (On this page, you can select either Authorization or Waiver.) 

If you are Part 107 qualified and the airspace you are flying in is UNcontrolled airspace (even if it is within 5 SM of the airport), you do not need to contact the airport manager.  Contacting the airport manager is only a requirement if you are a hobbyist.  

On 10/28/2017 at 1:04 PM, B Ervin said:

Okey Dokey,  Well this is why I signed up..... to keep up on changes and learn more stuff :D

I work and teach close to the Class B surface area and in a class D,  I think that's where my confusion comes from...

It still does not hurt to contact the local airport manager and strike up a relation with him/her. I work closely with our regional airport and contact the tower before each flight begins and after we terminate flight status. The regional also manages all the aeromedical flights in the area so it cuts down on my concerns in the long run. There is no requirement to do so, but it does make sense and its a good practice to get into.

21 hours ago, ScottF said:

@Spitfire76 is correct. If the airspace you were flying in was controlled airspace (e.g. Class E surface, Class D) then the FAA MUST approve your flight.  The only approved way of getting that approved (until LAANC) is available at your airport, is to submit your request using their online web portal.  https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/request_operate_controlled_airspace/  (On this page, you can select either Authorization or Waiver.) 

If you are Part 107 qualified and the airspace you are flying in is UNcontrolled airspace (even if it is within 5 SM of the airport), you do not need to contact the airport manager.  Contacting the airport manager is only a requirement if you are a hobbyist.  

It was uncontrolled airspace. I just checked with the airport manager to advise them. Thanks for the insight. This is all very new to me and I don't want to risk my license.

3 minutes ago, Spot of Blue said:

It was uncontrolled airspace. I just checked with the airport manager to advise them. Thanks for the insight. This is all very new to me and I don't want to risk my license.

If you always err on the side of caution you will never go wrong (much).

Thanks @Spitfire76 and @Alan Perlman for the prompt answers and to everyone else for the discussion thread and advice. You all have been very helpful and destroyed my misconception that all airports had a 5 mile radius of controlled airspace. also all the advice for still being aware of the airport and having a radio is really great. 

Thanks again.