Heliport Contact: Yes or No for Part 107 Pilots?

I know from studying for the Part 107 exam that I don’t have to contact heliports in class G airspace before I fly. I do make sure my spotters know where they are and that they are using proper spotting procedures to check for any kind of traffic in my area of operation.

There are two hospital heliports in my market area that are in G airspace: one is 3 miles away and the other 2 miles away.

Do you contact heliports in your area of operation prior to launch as a courtesy and to foster goodwill?

I am tempted to do this because of the irresponsible actions of some drone pilots. I have read of very positive responses from heliports who were contacted by commercial drone pilots.

On the downside, what if they take issue with my flight plan and say no'? Am I creating problems for myself by contacting them? 

If I go ahead and fly anyway and there is an incident, I have created a legal liability. If I don’t fly, I have not only lost one job but my whole market collapses. These two heliports are positioned to kill my entire business due to their locations in the middle of my market area.

A parallel incident:
Performing my due diligence, I have called city and town governments to determine if there are any local laws with which I have to comply. One city official said ‘no’, but also said that since I brought it up that maybe there should be. He will raise the issue at the next town council meeting.

I want to be a responsible pilot when it comes to heliports. But like my conversation with that city council member, I may be creating a problem for myself that didn’t previously exist.

I use sectional charts and the Airmap app which shows a caution message highlighted in yellow due to the 2 heliports. The word 'caution' does not mean contact.

I will probably spend another $200 and contact Jonathan Rupprecht, a pilot and attorney, to determine the best legal course of action relevant to heliports. However, I wanted to see what other commercial drone pilots are doing as a matter of practice with heliports in their area of operation.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, YuneecHgo said:

Performing my due diligence, I have called city and town governments to determine if there are any local laws with which I have to comply. One city official said ‘no’, but also said that since I brought it up that maybe there should be. He will raise the issue at the next town council meeting.

I want to be a responsible pilot when it comes to heliports. But like my conversation with that city council member, I may be creating a problem for myself that didn’t previously exist.

If you want to be a responsible operator then follow the rules.  Although contacting the heliport and city officials makes you a polite operator it does NOT make you a responsible one.

You are not required to contact heliports, so don't.  They don't have the authority to approve or deny your mission and your just putting them in an awkward position.

This is like motorists who are waiting to turn left and they motion for another driver to go ahead of them, thinking they're being polite/helpful and the other driver pulls out in front of oncoming traffic and causes an accident.  

There are rules, follow them.  Its the best way to be responsible.  

This is like motorists who are waiting to turn left and they motion for another driver to go ahead of them, thinking they're being polite/helpful and the other driver pulls out in front of oncoming traffic and causes an accident.  

There are rules, follow them.  Its the best way to be responsible.  

I got in a bit of an argument while riding with my mother one time when she decided to "be polite" in a similar way and I got on her because of the unsafe condition it created for everyone.  Even after explaining it too her I'm not sure she understood that her good dead was creating a safety hazard because nobody else was expecting her to do what she did.  Not even the person she was being nice to. 

Edited by Dave Pitman
  • 2 weeks later...