Could someone help me decide if this is a decent camera for surveying. I don't own a DJI but have built my own UAV and thought that getting this camera would be an economical way to learn about using an UAV for  surveying of which I know little about.

https://www.mapir.camera/collections/survey3

Edited by Spitfire76

On 10/28/2017 at 3:39 PM, Spitfire76 said:

Could someone help me decide if this is a decent camera for surveying. I don't own a DJI but have built my own UAV and thought that getting this camera would be an economical way to learn about using an UAV for  surveying of which I know little about.

https://www.mapir.camera/collections/survey3

How many megapixels are available with the camera? I have a 12Mp camera and I'm only good to about 90 feet AGL unless I set out large control panels (3 feet square). The resolution of the camera is going to determine the height you are able to fly, which in turn is going to determine the area you can cover on one battery. I know optics are really expensive, but this is not one of the places you do not want to be cheap. If you are going to do survey/mapping work you want a decent camera to do it.

Edited by R Martin

1 hour ago, R Martin said:

How many megapixels are available with the camera?

Its 12 megapixels (4000 x 3000). They make 2 RGB models, one with a 87 degree HFOV and the other with a 41 degree HFOV and according to the specifications they have a ground sample distance (GSD) of 5.5 cm/px at 120 M AGL and 2.3 cm/px at 120 M AGL respectively.

The features that I like are 

• comes with an external GPS so each image is geo tagged
  • camera can be triggered from my flight controller via a PWM signal
  • $400 

Although the camera is not 4K I was also hoping to use is like a GoPro to take regular 1080p (60fps) video. It should fit my Tarot 3 axis gimbal and since it has a lower HFOV than the GoPro I should not get that "fish bowel" distortion.

I wasn't planning on doing any commercial surveying but just thought that this camera would be an economical way to allow me to use my home built UAV to learn about it.

Edited by Spitfire76

2 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

Its 12 megapixels (4000 x 3000). They make 2 RGB models, one with a 87 degree HFOV and the other with a 41 degree HFOV and according to the specifications they have a ground sample distance (GSD) of 5.5 cm/px at 120 M AGL and 2.3 cm/px at 120 M AGL respectively.

The features that I like are 

• comes with an external GPS so each image is geo tagged
  • camera can be triggered from my flight controller via a PWM signal
  • $400 

Although the camera is not 4K I was also hoping to use is like a GoPro to take regular 1080p (60fps) video. It should fit my Tarot 3 axis gimbal and since it has a lower HFOV than the GoPro I should not get that "fish bowel" distortion.

I wasn't planning on doing any commercial surveying but just thought that this camera would be an economical way to allow me to use my home built UAV to learn about it.

Typically the software triggers the camera and does so a lot more accurately than you can (or I can at least). 12mp is on the low side (equivalent to my X3 Zenmuse) and I am actively trying to replace it at this time due to the low resolution and limited control. But for a learning experience on the cheap, should be a good thing to learn with.

1 hour ago, R Martin said:

Typically the software triggers the camera and does so a lot more accurately than you can (or I can at least).

The Pixhawk flight controller and software that I am using has the ability to trigger the camera automatically. I can setup a mission from the ground control station so its similar to the DJI apps.

https://docs.qgroundcontrol.com/en/PlanView/Survey.html

I think the camera looks like a promising solution. I am not sure though which model to get, the 87 or 41 degree HFOV. What HFOV does the X3 have ?

Edited by Spitfire76

1 minute ago, Spitfire76 said:

The Pixhawk flight controller and software that I am using has the ability to trigger the camera automatically. I can setup a mission from the ground control station so its similar to the DJI apps.

http://qgroundcontrol.com

I think the camera looks like a promising solution. I am not sure though which model to get, the 87 or 41 degree HFOV. What HFOV does the X3 have ?

3.5x Optical Zoom, 22–77mm Equivalent 
F2.8 (Wide) - F5.2 (Tele), FOV 92° (Wide) - 35° (Tele)

For mapping the 87° FOV will work nicely.

• Like 1

Are you planning to sell your services or the data from the scan?  

12MP is not enough.  That's basically a GoPro.  The lowest quality camera we use is a Sony a5100 and it's 24MP.  If we're scanning something that requires a more accurate model we use a Sony a7Rll with 43MP.  But that camera suffers from rolling shutter so we slow the survey down.  Hopefully the a7Rlll has improved on that.

its all a trade off..  of coarse you can get one of these: http://industrial.phaseone.com/Aerial_Cameras.aspx

We can all dream...

32 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

Are you planning to sell your services or the data from the scan?  

No, I am just interested in learning about the technology and this camera seemed an economical way for me to get started and use my existing home built UAV. As I had mentioned in an earlier post in this thread I also hoping I can use it for regular aerial video as an alternative to a GoPro although the max resolution is 1080p @ 60 fps but figured this should be fine. It also has a much lower HFOV and so doesn't suffer from barrel distortion. 

I met the owner of that company at the Commercial UAV Expo, he's a very enthusiastic and bright guy!  I'm sure that whatever product hew develops is a good one.  

One thing to keep in mind is that with a narrower FOV there's a much higher probability for rolling shutter and motion blur.  I have not read the specs on that camera, I doubt its a global or mechanical shutter, I'm also guessing its a fixed f./2.8, it would be good to be able to control the shutter speed manually.   

1 hour ago, Av8Chuck said:

One thing to keep in mind is that with a narrower FOV there's a much higher probability for rolling shutter and motion blur

ok, thanks for the feedback.

1 hour ago, Av8Chuck said:

I have not read the specs on that camera, I doubt its a global or mechanical shutter, I'm also guessing its a fixed f./2.8,

Its a rolling shutter.

59f8bcebdc30c_ScreenShot2017-10-31at11_09_58AM.thumb.png.b6940d3311ee1fd9b561cba3d48ca496.png

Before purchasing this camera I figured that I should look into the image processing software. Since I am just interested in the technology and learning about the surveying workflow I was hoping that there is some open source software out there. The company that sells this camera has several solutions but the licensing fees are just way too high for what I want to do.

https://www.mapir.camera/collections/software

I am going to look into this open source software since its free and I can host it on my home computer.

http://opendronemap.org

I have an old A1000 canon camera which I could mount to my home built hex. It only takes 10 mega pixel images but should be good enough to learn about the process. 

Hello, has anyone performed real vegetation index tests using mapir 3 with its radiometric calibration panel?

Thank you

On 4/28/2018 at 9:20 PM, Eddison said:

Hello, has anyone performed real vegetation index tests using mapir 3 with its radiometric calibration panel?

Thank you

Hello, I see that nobody has done real tests with another multispectral camera and compared the values with Mapir? Thank you