What is Commercial Use?

CoachPMack

No it's not considered as commercial use. It's just using your tools wisely. You've got a drone and you want imagery for yourself and give it to Friends. Same deal with you.

just make sure that you follow all of the rules. Such as under 400ft, don't fly over people etc. 

• Like 1

We do - it's at a controlled environment = practice. Everyone is aware of what is going on and wants the technology. Our aeronautics department has a different take. They say that because a university is a "business" that it is considered business use to involve a drone in anything that happens on campus.

23 hours ago, CoachPMack said:

We do - it's at a controlled environment = practice. Everyone is aware of what is going on and wants the technology. Our aeronautics department has a different take. They say that because a university is a "business" that it is considered business use to involve a drone in anything that happens on campus.

Interesting.

So here's what the FAA actually says on their FAQ page:

Do I need a Section 333 grant of exemption if I'm not charging for my services?

A. Unless you are flying only for hobby or recreational purposes, you will need FAA authorization via a Section 333 grant of exemption to fly your unmanned aircraft system (UAS) for your business. This applies even if you are only flying to supplement or aide your business and not charging fees for doing so.

For further information regarding the FAA's interpretation of ‘hobby or recreational’ flying, please see the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft(PDF).

If you click on that PDF and scroll to page 10, you'll see their official stance on recreational vs. commercial operations. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2016 at 2:44 PM, Alan Perlman said:

For further information regarding the FAA's interpretation of ‘hobby or recreational’ flying, please see the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft(PDF).

If you click on that PDF and scroll to page 10, you'll see their official stance on recreational vs. commercial operations. 

"Flights conducted incidental to, and within the scope of, a business where no common carriage is involved, generally may operate under FAA’s general operating rules of part 91."

Let's just say it: This is NOT a ruling that has anything to do with flying a 2lb camera to film a practice safely. The FAA should only be regulating these to the extent that they could potentially interfere with manned aircraft, or pose a threat to people or property. What they are quoting about "common carriage" has nothing to do with these "aircraft".

Want a flight plan? Fine. That's easy. Practice time, field, landing area. Done.

Want a safety log? Fine. My DJI keeps a log of each flight. It's a controlled practice environment.

Other than that - what do they care why I am using a camera at my practice? It doesn't even go above the tree lines! It's a lot safer than dangling a person 35 feet up in the air (people die each year falling from lifts). 

Even if I sold the video to other coaches (which I am not), why do they feel it is appropriate for them to infringe upon my rights as a person to earn a living? 

I am NOT a manned pilot, however I have been using RC toys for 40 years and have a great understanding of how they work safely. Plus, I don't want to buy another one - they are expensive! 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:35 AM, CoachPMack said:

If you video a practice at a school (public or private, college or high school), is this considered a commercial use if the footage is not for sale and for educational purposes only?? It's an invaluable teaching tool!

Not Legal Advice -

To answer your question directly as stated, per the FAA is would be "yes". Alan included some of the FAA definition (thank you), and since you are using it for reviewing practice, it falls into what they define as "commercial".

To help, we all know that the FAA has a 333 in place, but the most critical component that provides hope, is Part 107 which we are hopping would be much better. Congress is meeting toward the end of March 2016 to address this, and I believe the goals will be to provide a certification for UAS "aka. drones" for this industry. Since you've been flying for this long, I would assume you are also an AMA member; I would say like the large aircraft certification AMA has for us members. "HOPE!!!"

• Like 1