drkern1

Airmap vs B4UFly Advisories

Hello fellow pilots! First post here, and fairly new to the drone flying industry. I recently obtained my Part 107 certificate and now I am trying to fly my Mavic Pro.  I'm not going to lie, this whole airspace thing and being authorized to fly is still a bit confusing, please bear with me.  I am trying to fly in a near-by park in San Diego County, which is pretty much covered with No-Fly-Zones. In the B4UFly app planning mode, the point that I wish to fly in, it states that there is a nearby Heliport at a hospital. Switch over to the Airmap App with the FAA-Part 107 mission setting at the same location, there are no advisories. But when I switch the Airmap setting to Fly for Fun under "What's your mission" tab I get the advisory for the hospital. 

So this is where my confusions lie. If I am Part 107 certified do I need to contact the heliport?  Or do I need to call them regardless whenever I plan to fly? 

I guess I don't understand why the heliport advisory would only show up when "Flying for Fun", and not both. I'm simply trying to fly to get some flight time under my belt. If anyone has any clarification on procedures in layman's terms that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

- Darren

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drkern1 said:

So this is where my confusions lie. If I am Part 107 certified do I need to contact the heliport?  Or do I need to call them regardless whenever I plan to fly? 

This has been recently discussed in a few other threads on this forum. My understanding is that you only need to call them if you are flying as a hobbyist and are within 5 statute miles from the heliport/airport. If you fly under part 107 and the airspace is "uncontrolled" you are not required by the FAA to call them but must give way to any manned aircraft. The advice that I received from others in the forum is that its not bad idea to call them anyway. If the area is controlled airspace then you need to get airspace authorization from the FAA when flying under part 107. The B4UFly app was designed mainly for the hobbyist which is why the heliports show up with a 5 mile radius around them and not when you select part 107 in Airmap.

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2017 at 3:52 PM, Spitfire76 said:

This has been recently discussed in a few other threads on this forum. My understanding is that you only need to call them if you are flying as a hobbyist and are within 5 statute miles from the heliport/airport. If you fly under part 107 and the airspace is "uncontrolled" you are not required by the FAA to call them but must give way to any manned aircraft. The advice that I received from others in the forum is that its not bad idea to call them anyway. If the area is controlled airspace then you need to get airspace authorization from the FAA when flying under part 107. The B4UFly app was designed mainly for the hobbyist which is why the heliports show up with a 5 mile radius around them and not when you select part 107 in Airmap.

Spitfire76, I use DroneMaps which provides the UAS facility map for P107 pilots.  It seems that heliports are a source of confusion.  My question is that all the heliports (mainly hospitals) in my area have a 0' (prohibited) flight rating around the heliport which still includes alot of businesses.  Do current regulations still state that P107 pilots do NOT need to notify the heliports and can we still fly by them (giving way to any aircraft) even though the FAA UAS facility maps have 0' blocks around the heliports.   The 0' area is probably 1/2 - 3/4 mile around the heliport.  An example is below.  The area just north of the address label "Southcrest Parkway" is Baptist Desoto Hospital.  You will see the 0' blocks around the hospital area and there are also 100' blocks surrounding the heliport that are 100' only because of the heliport, not the MEM airport..  Can you offer some insight on the current and proper way that this heliport (or any other similar heliport) should be handled for P107 pilots?

Map location: I-55 and Goodman Rd, southaven, MS

Thanks!

UAS Facility Map i-55 and Goodman Rd - Southaven MS.jpg

@TimmyD, the 0 ft has nothing to do with any heliports there.  That area is KMEM Class B Airspace  10000 ft to the surface. Under Part 107, you are required to get prior airspace authorization from FAA. No phone calls, no other way except manual authorization from FAA.  Take a look at the sectional and you will see it clearly.  If KMEM is already running under LAANC, it will take some time to get an authorization to fly there I would expect.

Ed, That is in fact class B airspace but when you look at the UAS map where you can fly at various altitudes.  The 0' are only at the heliport.  When you go north of the heliport, it goes back to 100', and then further north (closer to MEM airport) it goes back to 0'.  But the 4 blocks of 0' located at the I-55 and Goodman area are specifically there because of the heliport.  So would this heliport area not fall under regulations for flying near the heliport?  Every hospital heliport around the Memphis TN area has a small area of 0' on the UAS facility map.

Any further explanation will be appreciated.

Heliport-MEM UAS Map.jpg

Edited by TimmyD

1 hour ago, TimmyD said:

Any further explanation will be appreciated.

As Ed pointed out that grid has nothing to do with heliports but shows the airspace around Memphis International Airport and that takes precedence over rules for any heliports that happen to be in that same grid area,

Edited by Spitfire76

Thanks Spitfire.  I will go in the next day or two and test using LAANC for approval at the heliports.  The 0' Altitude (no fly) sections around each heliport are there because of the heliport not because of the MEM Airport, even though it is in the Class B area.  There are 400' sections between the northeast heliport and the MEM Airport.   Again, thanks for the clarification on the requirement for authorization and I will try that very soon.  

Heliport-MEM UAS Map2.jpg

@TimmyD, you said "That is in fact class B airspace but when you look at the UAS map where you can fly at various altitudes."  Just to clarify, Those altitudes in the grids DO NOT mean you can fly there.  They are merely a guide for the contractor or FAA employee making a decision regarding your authorization request, as well as a guide for you.  And when LAANC is in place for that airport, requests for below the grid max altitude will be granted automatically (generally).  Anything above that requires FAA human intervention and subsequent approval (hopefully!).

And again, the key to getting quick approvals is to ask for only what you need.  I just did a property shoot this morning in a 0 AGL grid.  I was literally under the approach to our local airport.  We had a few arrivals (single engine) I would estimate at 500 feet but my request and authorization was for 75 feet.  I probably never exceeded 50 feet because I didn't need to.  Had the approval in 36 hours.

• Thanks 1