Hi from the Atlanta Georgia area. Just got my temp certificate. As part of my day job I use ground based laser scanners, so hope to supplement that with drone footage from a Phantom 4 or Inspire eventually. I also will be getting a Mavic of my own to use at weekends, my goal is to make videos of national, state and local parks just for fun. I have a land survey background so may eventually branch out, but that's a long way away for now. I'm hoping I'll learn a lot of the admin portion here, such as how to get flying permissions in the many restricted airspaces in my area.

Welcome Mark. 

Unfortunatley many of the state and federal parks are "no-drone-zones."  This policy is so ass backwards. People are so paranoid about drones spoiling the natural splendor, blah, blah, blah, but all manner of motorcycle, ultra lite, handglider etc can be operated with few restrictions.  

You can hear a Harley from the time it enters Yosemite Valley until it leaves, but people are worried whether a drone will disturb the tranquility and the wild life.

im not a proponent of drones everywhere, but a little less hypocracy and common sense would be welcome.  

I have a friend who shoots video in parks, he does an amazing job of capturing the essence of the wilderness. There's no aerial in his videos, tried it for a bit but using a drone attracted too much of the wrong type of attention. The percentage of people who will have the opportunity to visit many of these places is quite small.  This type of experience might be the only way people would get to see such beauty. Adding aerial to his production would provide an additional dimension, in much the same way that Rudy uses timelapse, sliders and jibs.  

Sorry, you inadvertently hit on a pet peeve and as you will discover I seem to have a lot of pet peeve's...

Good luck with your endeavors and don't forget to share. 

Here's one of Rudy's park films, I hope it inspires you to pursue your passion.

Hi Mark

I live in Georgia as well.  The following is from the current State Park Rules and Regulations.....

Drones

Drone operation is prohibited in Georgia’s State Parks and Historic Sites. However, occasionally waivers are approved for professional projects which may generate revenue or in other ways help promote the sites. In these cases, prior approval is required from the Division Director. A commercial film/photography request application detailing the project description, specific site location requested, and exact dates and times of drone use needs to be submitted along with the FAA registration and documentation of operator competency (pilot license preferred). Blanket requests will not be approved and drone use is not allowed over populated areas that may put park guests at risk. To request approval, contact Colby Moore at Colby.Moore@dnr.ga.gov......

The good news is that Georgia recently passed (and Gov Deal signed) legislation that prohibits restrictions on commercial drone operations that are more restrictive than those of FAA, unless they were in place prior to April 1, 2017.  Look for 6-1-4 of Official Code of Georgia Annotated

I knew that there were some restrictions, but didn't realize it was an almost blanket ban. Still, as they say,  if it was easy everyone would be doing it. I also got a nice handheld gimbal, so look forward to lots of ground photography too.

The DJI Osmo. We've had some really nice results using just an iphone and like that the Osmo has controls built into the grip. We have some decent cameras too, but like the convenience of the phone. My goal in the new year is to make more travel type videos using drone and stabilized ground videos, so hopefully I'll get good enough to eventually make a little money from either them or other contract work. I'm also going back to the UK next year and want to take as much quality video as possible.

13 hours ago, Alan Perlman said:

I spend some time in the Roswell / Alpharetta area where my wife's family is. Great town, welcome to the forum, @MarkL.

Thanks. Of the several places I've lived up and down the East coast, I'm happiest here. I'm not too far from Alpharetta on the north side of town. Lots of airports here too, unfortunately.

Hi @MarkL and welcome. I live in Dunwoody, GA. If you ever want to connect, let me know. 

I am full-time photographer and licensed drone pilot. Can definitely give you more information on places I fly, etc.  As @Ed O'Grady said, State park are pretty much a no go, but still plenty of places in and around the city to fly.

Cheers,

Adam

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 12:46 PM, Adam G said:

Hi @MarkL and welcome. I live in Dunwoody, GA. If you ever want to connect, let me know. 

I am full-time photographer and licensed drone pilot. Can definitely give you more information on places I fly, etc.  As @Ed O'Grady said, State park are pretty much a no go, but still plenty of places in and around the city to fly.

Cheers,

Adam

Hi Adam. I'll definitely get with you in the near future. My Mavic arrived last week but I haven't had time to take it out of the box yet. I'm really looking forward to making use of it.

24 minutes ago, MarkL said:

Hi Adam. I'll definitely get with you in the near future. My Mavic arrived last week but I haven't had time to take it out of the box yet. I'm really looking forward to making use of it.

Sounds good. Happy flying!

I spent 20 years living in Alpharetta until 2006. You will absolutely love everything but the traffic. Here is a place in Cumming that might be of interest to you as I am sure they have plenty of other local pilots that you might meet there.