Sign in to follow this  
MikeChambers

Pix4DCapture not recording to sd card

Hi all, I flew a mission at a construction site today where I used Pix4DCapture for mapping and Litchi for video and still non-mapping shots.  When I got back to my office I realized that Pix4D had not recorded any images to the sd card while Litchi recorded both video and stills fine.  I've been using Pix4D for almost 6 months now with little problem.  Then today at the site everything appeared to be normal.  I formatted the sd card, went through the checklists in Pix4d, the camera was working as I was watching the progress on the screen, it was reporting that images were taken...but then nothing was recorded to the sd card.  I switched to Pix4D because I was having similar issues with DroneDeploy about six months ago.  Can anyone chime in on what they believe to be the most stable mapping software at the moment?  This is with a P4P and iPad mini 4.  I'll be going back to redo the mission in the morning, so I'm trying to decide whether to go back to DroneDeploy, give Pix4D another shot (checking the images in a laptop before leaving the site this time), or something else.  

Thanks.

Hi Mike,

I mostly use Map Pilot (not free) from Drones Made Easy.  I have also recently used Drone Deploy successfully within the last couple of months. 

Map Pilot uses uses Apple maps and on a couple of occasions I have found the base map to be not quite oriented properly to the site as evidenced by using the satellite with labels base map (roads are off compared to the photo).  In that case (rare) I used Drone Deploy as it uses Google maps.

With Map Pilot it is also best if you have a clear unobstructed view to the drone as it interacts with the ipad to adjust image capture in certain conditions. 

I use them with a P3P and P4P.   No experience using Pix4D Capture. 

Edited by Dave Pitman

Hi Dave, thanks for the recommendation.  I'll look into Map Pilot.  The site I'm mapping is around 175 acres, though I do have a clear line to the drone from where I am with the controls.  Is Map Pilot good for larger maps that take more than one battery to fly them?

Thanks

8 hours ago, MikeChambers said:

Hi all, I flew a mission at a construction site today where I used Pix4DCapture for mapping and Litchi for video and still non-mapping shots.  When I got back to my office I realized that Pix4D had not recorded any images to the sd card while Litchi recorded both video and stills fine.  I've been using Pix4D for almost 6 months now with little problem.  Then today at the site everything appeared to be normal.  I formatted the sd card, went through the checklists in Pix4d, the camera was working as I was watching the progress on the screen, it was reporting that images were taken...but then nothing was recorded to the sd card.  I switched to Pix4D because I was having similar issues with DroneDeploy about six months ago.  Can anyone chime in on what they believe to be the most stable mapping software at the moment?  This is with a P4P and iPad mini 4.  I'll be going back to redo the mission in the morning, so I'm trying to decide whether to go back to DroneDeploy, give Pix4D another shot (checking the images in a laptop before leaving the site this time), or something else.  

Thanks.

So are you flying separate missions using one app at a time or flying the same mission using both apps in conjunction? Is everything else shut down including the other app when you fly using Pix4D capture? I have used both for nearly a year and not had the problems you described with either. I have experienced a temporary loss of my GPS signal which caused the app the immediately stop taking images with Pix4D Capture. That happened twice this past year. I just reflew the mission and it performed flawlessly.

So based upon my experience with both apps, I would suggest that maybe Litchi is the problem. Fly without Litchi active and see if you have the same problem. I do suggest that you cancel the transfer of images from the SD card to your tablet after the flight with Pix4D. I always grab them off the SD card when I go back to the office. Less clutter on the iPad. That is my two cents for what it's worth.