Interesting VTOL design

Spitfire76

21 minutes ago, Dave Pitman said:

They are both VTOL aircraft but that's the end of the similarity.  To me,  the Firefly6, while nice, looks like a DIY built system while the Edge looks like something that would come out of Boeing.  Just my opinion.

I believe the Firefly6 did start out being a DIY build but to me the unique thing about both designs is a Y rotor design with no tail plane. Not sure what would happen though to the Edge if that tail motor failed.

Edited by Spitfire76

We did a lot of testing with the FireFly.  It performed quite well, certainly a lot of fun but it can't lift the kinds of payloads we're using - even just a smaller 2-axis gimbal w/a6500.

The Edge is a much sleeker and sexier design but there's no actual footage from it or of it flying.  As a Tri the aft lift axis would need to rotate to control yaw.  I'd like to see it fly.

On 11/28/2017 at 7:41 AM, Dave Pitman said:

Wing type RC planes generally don't have tails.  The tail rotor probably helps with thrust during forward flight and may be needed for sustained flight.  But I doubt that if it failed it would drop from the sky in either of the designs.  It's probably required for TO and Landing is my guess.

The FireFly has vertical winglets like the Edge for lateral stability.  They can't be too big because in vertical flight they weathervane and if too small the aircraft "swims" from side-to-side in level flight.  

Recently I've seen some "quads-with-wings" where they fly as a quod vertically but then shut off when a gas motor takes over horizontal thrust.

Finally something else to consider, a VTOL lands and takes off vertically but gathers data horizontally , what if you want to capture data vertically?  

19 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

Finally something else to consider, a VTOL lands and takes off vertically but gathers data horizontally , what if you want to capture data vertically?  

In that case you might want to consider a "tail sitter" design like this:-

http://px4.io/portfolio/wingtraone-tailsitter-vtol/

Not sure how these guys get it to hover like that with only 2 motors. Also I don't believe it would do well hovering in a wind but interesting design.

https://wingtra.com/product/

Edited by Spitfire76

23 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

That's just a wing, it still flys the mission horizontally which means it does NADIR survey etc.  I want to to Oblique surveys so the the drone has to convert back into vertical flight to be able to loiter while performing the mission.

For sure these fixed wing aircraft only have longer flight duration when the majority of the mission is horizontal flight. I guess for vertical flight missions then multi rotor is the best option and if longer flight times are needed either use a generator like the one you posted in another thread or fuel cells.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...