robolizard222

Sectional chart Visibility Help

So new to the site and going through the Pilot school. Where exactly does it say the visibility distance for airports are on a sectional chart? I looked through the notes, but I didn't see where exactly it said these are indicated on the map. Am I just missing something? Is it the AWOS number?

Ooh, I know this one :)

It's a trick question.

You can't find visibility requirements on a sectional chart. The minimum visibility for any sUAS operations is always 3 SM, no matter where you are flying. It's a regulations question, not a sectional chart question.

The chart is a red herring meant to throw you off.

One of the many ways the FAA tries to trick test-takers!

(cc: @robolizard222)

• Thanks 1

That appears to be the case after some research was done. It's relates to METAR visibility but appears to be purely a trick.  After talking to my manned pilot school instructor relative it's a standard they use for all classifications. Tricky dudes.

On 11/30/2017 at 5:01 PM, Alan Perlman said:

Ooh, I know this one :)

It's a trick question.

You can't find visibility requirements on a sectional chart. The minimum visibility for any sUAS operations is always 3 SM, no matter where you are flying. It's a regulations question, not a sectional chart question.

The chart is a red herring meant to throw you off.

One of the many ways the FAA tries to trick test-takers!

(cc: @robolizard222)

Not really a trick.  A correct answer would have to be presented in a multiple choice test, such as:

A. ...

B. ...

C.  You can't find visibility requirements on a sectional chart.

D.   ...

I didn't realize this was a test question, I thought the OP was actually trying to find the answer which is why I asked about the METAR.

It wasn't clear to me what the question was.  I didn't think it was a trick question as much as a poorly structured question.

@robolizard222 thats not a criticism leveled at your question, its more the nature of the internet.  There's almost always a need for follow on questions and dialog to get the nature and context of the problem your trying to solve.  

2 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

I didn't realize this was a test question, I thought the OP was actually trying to find the answer which is why I asked about the METAR.

It wasn't clear to me what the question was.  I didn't think it was a trick question as much as a poorly structured question.

@robolizard222 thats not a criticism leveled at your question, its more the nature of the internet.  There's almost always a need for follow on questions and dialog to get the nature and context of the problem your trying to solve.  

I didn't understand he was asking about a test question either. 

I'm not purely interested in answering trick questions but understanding the regulations. I thought there was required visibility distance label for each airport on sectional charts. It appears that the question isn't really about charts but just regulations in general as I had assumed.

I got this question today on my renewal test.  It ask's about the minimum visibility at Crawford Airport in Figure 80 and gives three possibilities. I don't recall all three, but I picked the one that said it was 0 and the skies were clear.  Obviously got it wrong.  I think the question is a bunch of BS and needs to be removed for the question pool.  

Also got the same question twice: #8 and #10 on my test were the same.  Really annoying, esp if you get it wrong, you're penalized twice.  (I got it right fortunately)

On 12/17/2017 at 4:09 PM, KWI said:

Got this question when I took the Part 107 test. It is a trick question and the answer is always 3 SM.

Sometimes with the FAA, the answer isn't clear, but the others are clearly not the answer.

It would be interesting to hear precisely how the question is worded and the available answers.  No one has posted that yet. 

I think its actually a carry over from manned aircraft testing question bank.  Just know your classes of airspace and ceiling/visibility/cloud clearance requirements.