Hi everyone!

I just would like your opinion and wisdom about something that is related to uav operation in Class D airspace.

I have submitted the application to FAA for authorization to fly up to 350'agl for customer who's house is located in class D airspace back in August but still no response.

After 2 months of waiting I received the update which basically stated that FAA is overwhelmed with applications and it can take more than 90 days to respond. 

Well it is well over 100 days and nothing! I will re-submit the application.

But after checking the Aimap app I noticed that when creating the flight plan the advisory says that "near by airport is in Class D airspace requiring FAA authorization, permissible at or below 200ft.

My question to you all is Do the mean that you can apply for authorization but not higher than 200ft or that you can fly even without the authorization at or below 200ft?

I'm confused!

IMG_F2A8684DEA53-1.jpeg

You need to research LAANC.  The ceilings published in the uas facility maps are what AirMap is referring to.

You can request whatever ceiling height you want.  However the published ceilings are what they are most likely to approve and what will be available through the LAANC system.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/uas_facility_maps/

Capture.JPG

Edited by Dave Pitman

12 hours ago, Daniel Vavrecka said:

My question to you all is Do the mean that you can apply for authorization but not higher than 200ft or that you can fly even without the authorization at or below 200ft?

It means that you can apply for a COA or waiver to fly at or below 200 FT AGL and receive approval (at some point because they are backed up). But you still need the COA or waiver to fly in controlled airspace commercially.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 8:08 AM, R Martin said:

It means that you can apply for a COA or waiver to fly at or below 200 FT AGL and receive approval (at some point because they are backed up). But you still need the COA or waiver to fly in controlled airspace commercially.

Thanks!