I guess it might be interesting if you were developing something like this anyway, but a $2M payout across the entire competition isn’t much of an incentive. 

The idea of creating a VTOL that can carry one person for 20 miles — no problem.  I’ll have the 3D printer, virtual reality goggles, hydrogen fuel cell working overtime and if I apply for the waiver today the FAA might even let me fly it.

Oops,  not going to happen, there’s only 116 days until it’s over, probably can’t get the waiver in time!

30 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

Oops,  not going to happen, there’s only 116 days until it’s over, probably can’t get the waiver in time!

Is a waiver needed ?. This is for a manned aircraft so maybe the regulations would be the same as those for something like a Paramotor although it does state that you can use a mannequin and that might be wise at least for the initial test flights. Also the count down is for the registration deadline, the final fly off is not until October, 2019.

Edited by Spitfire76
14 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

That was a joke.

I did assume that you weren't serious about this...

15 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

The idea of creating a VTOL that can carry one person for 20 miles — no problem.  I’ll have the 3D printer, virtual reality goggles, hydrogen fuel cell working overtime and if I apply for the waiver today the FAA might even let me fly it.

but was just commenting on the bit about the need for a wavier.

15 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

14 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

im guessing it would cost north of $20M to develop something like that.

Maybe more as they are really asking to design and build something like a flying Segway and apparently that cost over a $100M to develop.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/innovation/the-segway-of-airplanes/

I guess this is a project more for the likes of Elon Musk than us mere mortals. 

Edited by Spitfire76