Sean Gordon

Part 107 Flights in Chicago Area

We have an office in Chicago and I have received some question regarding our ability to perform operations there.  It appears there is (was?) a city wide ordinance banning drone use.  The ordinance said if the operation has approval by the FAA under Section 333 (ordinance was from 2015) then it's acceptable.  Looking at the maps, it appears most Chicago is totally fine to fly.

Anyone have experience with this?  Am I missing something when I'm looking at the map?

2 hours ago, Sean Gordon said:

We have an office in Chicago and I have received some question regarding our ability to perform operations there.  It appears there is (was?) a city wide ordinance banning drone use.  The ordinance said if the operation has approval by the FAA under Section 333 (ordinance was from 2015) then it's acceptable.  Looking at the maps, it appears most Chicago is totally fine to fly.

Anyone have experience with this?  Am I missing something when I'm looking at the map?

This is a sticky point. The FAA is the only entity that has the authority to govern the National Airspace. As long as you are conforming to their regulations then you "should" be good to go. However, a municipality can pass local ordinances to make life difficult. They can forbid you from taking off and landing on their domain and fine you accordingly if you break their ordinance. A gray area is to take off from outside their jurisdiction and land there as well and technically there is not a whole lot they can do about it...other than make life miserable on you.

I would pin down who passed the ordinance and if possible. talk to them directly and work something out allowing you, the licensed pilot, to do what other licensed pilots all over the world do which is fly under the rules and regulations we all (should) be obeying.