Av8Chuck

Business Demo (Sort of)

As many of you know, I have a drone startup.  Like a lot of people I started building and selling drones out of my garage.  It then morphed into a service provider, then when the Military banned DJI people started asking us to sell our drones.  So its gone full circle.

It takes a lot of money to manufacture anything, some of the people who were asking us to build drones made some sizable investments, but not enough yet to scale where we need to be.  Not all investments (or Investors) work out and you can lose friendships.  With startups your always a day away from making it or a day away from being out of business, just depends on the day.  

One of the companies interested in investing came to me and asked if we could deliver a system in a week for a demo in India and Singapore.  Yes we can, no I won't.  The probability that anyone who has never flown a drone could pull off a successful demo on such short notice is unlikely.  

So we compromised and I edited together a demo reel showing the different drones and missions we've done recently.  Some of you have probably seen some of this, I didn't have the time to start from scratch.  Not only do I tend to be a bit tongue and cheek about the advice I give but also on my own projects as well.  If you can't laugh at yourself....

So I'm curious if if you think maybe this might be a little in bad taste?

Killer experience, thanks for sharing here. My gut reaction to the first 30 seconds is that the text moves really fast! It's hard for me to keep up with everything going on / I'm a little overwhelmed.

The variety of shots and use cases presented here certainly present you as an expert, and at 2:30 it's a great amount of time. I feel like some of the demo videos I see out there are a little long / slow paced. This is great pacing.

Thanks Alan.  

The first 30 seconds was produced for our website, it is really fast, the thinking for the website is the faster, the shorter the better.  

Raising money is a serious endeavor, I’m so burnt out with the process so I decided to try and have some fun with it. One of the investors laughed out loud about halfway through it when he realized what the lyrics were saying:

If you want it, here it is, come and get it
But you'd better hurry 'cause it's goin' fast
If you want it, here it is, come and get it
Mm mm mm mm, make your mind up fast

If you want it, any time, I can give it
But you'd better hurry 'cause it may not last

Did I hear you say that there must be a catch?
Will you walk away from a fool and his money?
Sonny!

sometimes you just have to try and have some fun.  Obviously we can’t use this for marketing but I thought I’d share this for a bit before taking it down.  

Happy Holidays everyone let’s hope for a more robust commercial drone industry next year.  

3 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

sometimes you just have to try and have some fun.

Amen to that :)

Wasn't listening to the lyrics but just went back and re-watched. That's hilarious.