Hello everyone,

My name is Eric and I'm new to the forum and UAS. I am a 20 year Navy veteran with about 3000 hours as a helicopter crewman/rescue swimmer. I also have 12 years of instructor duty including rescue swimmer, MH-60S, and Aviation Physiology/Water Survival.

I retired 7 years ago and must say...I miss the Navy. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at starting a drone business. I was going to start a survival training business. After the last hurricane that ripped through Houston I realized a majority of civilians don't spend money the same way the  military does...and the market is already saturated with survival websites.  I need to do something that impacts my community.

I'm studying for the test. Don't have a vehicle yet.Still got my feelers out in regards to what's needed in my area. I would love to be able to work with EMS, law enforcement or State Parks/ wildlife management. Only time will tell.

Looking forward to the experience invested here.

R/Eric W

Hi Eric, welcome aboard.  Where are you located?

As an industry drones are intriguing.  They're an enabling technology that is on the cutting edge which is a draw for younger "techies" but in order to be truly useful this technology requires a more "seasoned" understanding of the problems that this enabling technology can solve.  Its almost a generational thing where its equally difficult for these "generations" to meet somewhere in the middle to develop a profitable business, but that's kind of what's required.  Technology is only as good as the managerial hand that guides it.  Younger people lack the experience to understand the kind of disciplined thinking required to chart a course from where the technology is to where it needs to be.

You can see this by reading a lot of the different forums.   Most of the forums are dominated by younger members asking a few of the more successful members, the members who post examples of their work and as a result are perceived successful, what kind of cameras, gimbal, motors, etc., they use as if they used the same technology they would be as successful.  They won't be.  But the number of threads asking the same questions again and again (click-bait) are huge so these forums have the appearance of success so they influence the overall online trend.  That's not to say their not useful, if you need to know how to upgrade the the latest DJI firmware you can't beat them.   

Success in this industry will have less to do with the technology and more to do with experience and how the two come together.  With the type of experience you have you are the "adult" in the room.  The true test of an enabling technology is whether it can help cross that generational divide.  Its interesting that forums such as this one, which in my opinion strive to to facilitate that crossing, struggle to get traction.  

We need more adults, more conversations about how we can all work together to truly impact our communities.  

Hi Chuck,

First let me say I appreciate your comments and I'm looking forward to more.

I'm located in Lockhart, Tx. I forget how big Texas is sometimes. I'm hoping my business knowledge and ethics will help my build a solid foundation. I've  been managing other peoples businesses for the last 7 years. Recently I took a week long course with the Small Business Association, called "Boots 2Business",  this was an eye opener and very informative. I was also an Avionics Technician/helicopter crewman/ training device manager, etc in the Navy so I'm comfortable applying technology to real world scenarios. My challenge, as I see it,is to educate myself on what the world needs, so I can properly equip myself and deliver a quality service. First I need to get my certification!

Thanks again,

Eric

I doubt you’ll have much difficulty passing the 107.  The need that is becoming more self evident is the ability to accurately scan the planet and produce actionable data.  The actionable part depends on the problem your customer is tring to solve. 

The last place I served in the Army was Fort Hood.  Flew all over Texas, it’s huge..

Here’s how I’ve tried applying my aviation experience: