Requirements and Regulations to Fly Commercially in Los Angeles, California.

Hello,

My name is Jorge, I'm Commercial Drone Pilot, working in a Telecom Company, currently flying in Georgia for Cellphone Towers inspection, most of the time using M600P with Z30 Camera.

My Team is planing to start flying in Los Angeles area, and we are not sure the differences with the Regulations and requirements between Georgia and California. So I will appreciate if this community can help me out to get more detailed information about flying in Los Angeles area.

By the way, I got the Part 107 Certificate back in January 2017 Thanks to DronePilot Ground School Team.

Here is a Proof of the BEST UAV COACH in the Drone Industry :)

image.png.dba34a0020bc97f3a2adddfad4483506.png

I'm excited to start flying in Los Angeles.

Thanks in Advance for all the Support!

Happy flying!

Sincerely

Jorge Luengo

• Like 1

Hi Av8Chuck, Thanks for your reply. So far we haven't flown in controlled Airspace, all the Cellphone Towers we have inspected have been more than 5 miles from Airport and no more than 400 Feet AGL. We have only requested local property authorization to access to some cellphone towers.

I'm just curious if there is some local requirement and regulations flying in LA that I need to be aware of.

This is California, these idiots regulate everything. Having said that there’s really only one authority when it comes to regulating airspace and that’s the FAA.  I realize that local and state municipalities create regulations and according to them you’d think all of California was a no-drone-zone.  

I’m not suggesting that people “ignore” the “local rules,” but it’s really unclear who has authority to create, enforce, and legislate regulations related to commercial drone usage.  I believe that if you have and follow rule 107 and use a little common sense and perform your service safely people pretty much leave you alone.  

1 minute ago, Ed O'Grady said:

@jluengo1983, you mentioned 5 miles from an airport as a determining factor.  Flying under Part 107 has nothing to do with that - it's all about airspace classification.  In many cases you can fly right next to the airport but it depends on classification.  You are probably aware of all that, but it just struck me for a moment.

Totally Agree with you. Before we fly, we make sure to plan ahead with the tools for aviation MAP and Weather forecast, "SAFETY FIRST".

I would look up my friend/previous teacher, Josh Friedman from One Zero Digital Media and see what help he can offer. Depending on what restrictions you may run into he may even be able to help steer you in the right direction for someone that has proper clearance if he doesn’t have it himself in problematic airspace for what you are out here to accomplish. 

41 minutes ago, OADphoto said:

I would look up my friend/previous teacher, Josh Friedman from One Zero Digital Media and see what help he can offer. Depending on what restrictions you may run into he may even be able to help steer you in the right direction for someone that has proper clearance if he doesn’t have it himself in problematic airspace for what you are out here to accomplish. 

Hi OADphoto, Thanks! I really appreciate your support with any information. I'm not sure about the cellphone towers location in LA, but I think it will be in different locations for sure. So, once I get the locations I will start looking into VFR, Skyvector and AIRMAP tools. My only concern if there is any specific requirement and regulation different than other cities or states in USA that we need to be aware of.

I have attached the Part 107 Summary file, please correct me if this is not the updated one.

Part_107_Summary.pdf

THANKS!

As far as I know for the most part all part 107rules are the predominant rules to go by. Again this will be a question for Josh as he is very aware and I believe the most informed on regulations and possible individual city limitations in the area. If you have any problems finding his info feel free to let me know. A simple google search should produce a few points of contact. 

I fly in the greater Los Angeles and Orange County area, and as others have said, just follow 107. But, because of the density and many airports here you may want to apply for airspace authorizations really early if you know that you're bidding on areas near airports - and there are airports seemingly everywhere. I am still waiting for airspace authorization under 107 to fly in class D airspace and it has been 131 days since I have submitted. YES 131 days! They have not lost my application, I've checked, they are just that inundated with requests in Southern California.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:22 AM, OADphoto said:

As far as I know for the most part all part 107rules are the predominant rules to go by. Again this will be a question for Josh as he is very aware and I believe the most informed on regulations and possible individual city limitations in the area. If you have any problems finding his info feel free to let me know. A simple google search should produce a few points of contact. 

Hi OADphoto, Thanks for the information, appreciate your support and HELP!

On 1/20/2018 at 2:31 PM, Christian Robert Terry said:

I fly in the greater Los Angeles and Orange County area, and as others have said, just follow 107. But, because of the density and many airports here you may want to apply for airspace authorizations really early if you know that you're bidding on areas near airports - and there are airports seemingly everywhere. I am still waiting for airspace authorization under 107 to fly in class D airspace and it has been 131 days since I have submitted. YES 131 days! They have not lost my application, I've checked, they are just that inundated with requests in Southern California.

Hi Robert, Thanks for sharing your local experience around LA, that's what I thought just follow the rules from Part 107. I hope the LAANC system continue improving to cover most of the Airports in USA to get prompt Controlled Airspace Authorization without waiting that long.