Fotomon

DJI Customer Service?

I initially thought DJI’s customer service was good but now I’m wondering if it all depends on which product you send in. 

Here’s my ongoing issue. 

Over a year ago, when updating my P3 Advanced controller’s software per dji’s instruction, my controller went dead. It was fully charged but suddenly froze up. Nothing. Sent it to DJI after speaking with tech and it came back working fine. Zoom ahead to late November of last year, same thing happened updating same controller using WiFi and App. Dead again. Sent it in, shows as being accepted and in system as of December 7, 2017. It has been stuck on that repair progress ever since. 

I have sent email after email to get an update. Same response from several DJI customer service people. “Sorry for delay. We will endorse your case to our repair team so they can provide he complete details about your progress in your case.”

They say an update will be emailed to me. Nothing. Into the second month now. 

Anyone run into this? 

I bought a P4Pro in December and figured I’d keep the P3 Advanced as a back-up. If I was using it for jobs I’d be in serious trouble. 

Time to start trying to reach repair by phone?

3 hours ago, Fotomon said:

If I was using it for jobs I’d be in serious trouble. 

Welcome to the dilemma that is DJI.  Why do so many components fail when the firmware is upgraded?  Why do they put so many obstacles between the operator and a payday?  

Av8Chuck , thanks and I agree. 

But would love more input on recent experiences regarding support for older models. Is this type delay common now? Has their support / repair so inundated that this is happening all the time?

I purchased their one year DJI Care Refresh Service for my newest drone and hopefully that will help should the P4P need anything. 

Can anyone weigh in?

On 2/7/2018 at 6:22 PM, Fotomon said:

I have sent email after email to get an update. Same response from several DJI customer service people. “Sorry for delay. We will endorse your case to our repair team so they can provide he complete details about your progress in your case.”

That's frustrating. Have you tried calling or using the live chat? I've had good luck with both.

A quick update. I was able to speak with a DJI Customer Service person. After conferring with their repair dept., they say that they are waiting for parts. No idea when these "parts" will be available. 

It seems quite disingenuous at the very least that after 2 months, DJI cannot find whatever parts they are talking about, especially since I believe it was a software problem (software update, by the the online instructions, froze my controller), not hardware. 

I fully expect that one day, maybe a month in the future, I will receive word that they are not supporting this model or controller, nothing can be done and it will be up to me to find an a P3 Adv. controller on ebay..................

DJI is seriously hurting their business if they continue with such customer service. I'm also seeing a lot of other complaints on other forums... 

As a final follow up, after many many calls and emails to customer service, I eventually received a controller back from DJI. It’s a new one to be used for my older P3 Advanced. Since no one could give me an answer, I was told twice that a tech/representative would call me and call me on specific days. No one called. 

Really a bad experience with this issue. 

On the flip side, I had a new battery for my P4 Pro show a dead cell and they replaced pronto!

On 2/7/2018 at 4:22 PM, Fotomon said:

In the DJI Photography page on FB, I floated the idea of creating an old fashioned local repair shop where face to face and person to person service happens. I have an AA in digital electronics and 25 years of troubleshooting, soldering and assembly skills. I have a little experience working on drones, like when I changed a shell on my Chroma and I'm sure I can do the same with DJI products. So, this guy from DJI posts in my thread that "self repair is not recommended for flight performance reasons". I see nothing in my Phantom that requires calibration or tweaking, and no reason that swapping parts will change flight performance. All trimming and calibration is done with software, and software is DJI's market advantage. I also mentioned my very negative experience with one of those "DJI" repair centers where you ship your aircraft to get it fixed. Without going through all the boring details, I tried one of those and didn't see my P4 for 3 months. I got it back the day after the eclipse, and I missed getting photos of our 100% coverage. I replied to the DJI guy that they ought to offer training for techs, and he replied that I could apply to open a DJI retail store. I love my P4 and am looking forward to the P4PV2 I just ordered, but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired..............And without getting into politics this trade war with China is not going to be good for the drone industry, so what happens if we can't ship our broken birds to the factory repair....I am going ahead with it if it appears feasible.

Allen,

Not sure why your statement came across as a "quote" from me, but to clarify, that was NOT something I said.

Since this topic I started popped back up, I'll share another issue I am now having with DJI Repair. This one with a P4 Pro I bought last December.

A lot to love about this newer version. 

While in the midst of a commercial shoot though, it started having an issue with connectivity to the camera where a warning said I wasn't connecting to same. The only thing that seemed to be happening was related to my aperture control. Aperture control either didn't show up or when it did, would default to 2.8. Through the use of ISO control and shutter (while shooting stills at least) I worked around the issue till I could get the time to send this unit in. I contacted repair by phone and explained the issue and all the things I had already done (refresh the firmware, reload the DJI Go 4 app, etc.). None of what I did had helped. 

I was told to send both the Phantom, camera/gimbal and controller in. Because I had less than 10 flight hours on the P4Pro, had never crashed it or treated it other than with kid gloves and the Phantom was in immaculate condition, felt secure that this must be an issue internally with this Phantom and probably covered under warranty.

Now, I have DJI Refresh. If I used it, $99 dollars would cover it. But why pay that when I figured it was still under warranty. 

When I got back the Repair Dept. report, it gave a breakdown on what they needed to replace. The main thing was the "Camera Main Board" and also the left and right Landing Modules. I assume those must be the plastic U shaped parts the unit lands on. Said the damage was due to something I had done and not DJI. Huh?

They then defaulted to my Refresh Agreement rather than warranty and asked I pay the $99 rather than the close to $300 cost of repairing.

I contacted them back and refuted their claim that this issue was anything I did and would like a better explanation from the repair dept. as to what damage they are referring to. 

Second Report sent that was to suppose to explain more, says: "NON-WARRANTY PER DATA ANALYSIS. Inconclusive FLY000 N/A 1.) No crash found in available flights. 2.) Obvious damage that impairs normal function to unit. Conclusion: Cause of issue is due to physical damage.”

Again, Huh?

After reviewing their warranty, I was wrong about actual coverage. The camera/Gimbal warranty is only 6 months so I am out of that. I did ask for them to please send me pics showing what damage to drone they are referring to. Specifically this landing modules that need to be replaced. They were in perfect shape when I sent the unit in. But I went ahead and paid the Refresh fee since technically I was out of warranty on the Camera/Gimbal. Waiting to hear back on what was wrong on the Landing Modules.

My opinion is that some lazy repair person saw I had Refresh, had to bolster their argument that the drone was crashed somehow (why they say landing modules must be replaced) and that this internal main camera board was broken because of something I did and not from an issue with their electronic board. But like I said, those "Landing Modules" were pristine when I sent this unit in. In fact the entire unit was pristine. Never even had a hard landing. I even shipped my P4Pro back to them in the original foam housing and packed that in a larger box with further padding.

I doubt I will get any pics back showing damaged landing modules.

My rant here is to simply inform others and hope you don't run into such RepairDept. issues. Really worrisome that such a huge company can't take care of their customers better or at least communicate better. 

I just hope they will replace and send my unit back soon.

It’s suppose to be on its way back. Hope to receive next week. I’ll know if it’s a completely new one or not. My registration number is written on the body. Btw. No response from the repair people on the question about the “landing modules”. Asked 3 times and no one will say.