flyingmonkey

Real Estate project

Love the orbit at 1:03. How'd the shoot go? Any notes worth sharing? Curious how long you were in the air for, whether or not anyone else was there with you, whether or not you were approached by anyone asking questions while flying, any "insider" experience notes :)

7 hours ago, Alan Perlman said:

Love the orbit at 1:03. How'd the shoot go? Any notes worth sharing? Curious how long you were in the air for, whether or not anyone else was there with you, whether or not you were approached by anyone asking questions while flying, any "insider" experience notes :)

Hey Alan, sure, here's my answers:

How'd the shoot go? It went very well. I was initially concerned because the property was surrounded by 80' Oak Trees. Was not sure if I could get any good footage outside of the boathouse. Became an exercise in obstacle avoidance.

Curious how long you were in the air for? I went through 3 batteries for the shoot. A total of 30 pics and 20 full minutes of video.

Anyone else with you? I did not take an observer with me this time. The area was free and clear of people and I was not planning on flying over the property itself. Some may frown upon it but I thought it was an ok decision.

Were you approached by anyone asking questions while flying? I pre-coordinated with the agent to contact the property owner and give them a heads up that I would be out there doing the shoot. The neighbors were actually really excited when I showed up and they offered me some water while I was flying.

Insider notes:

*I did a recon for any nearby airspace using my available UAS apps. I used the B4UFLY app to also check for restrictions and I also sent an informational message out through it with the grids I would be operating at.

*I made sure I had my current FMAP Flight Operations Manual with me, my FAA registration "pink" copy with me, current work contract, and a written permission form from the property owner.

*I'm going to visit the Nashville FSDO this Thursday (10 Mar) to add some ratings to my commercial certificate and I plan on discussing some UAS issues with them. 

*Lots of batteries, lots and lots. I brought 4 with me just to make sure I could get all the footage I needed. 

*I walked the property for about 30 minutes prior to starting to fly. I took note of the hazards and property lines. When I initially ascended I immediately went to the highest tree top and took a altitude measurement and that became my mark for any overflight footage I would plan to do later.

• Like 1