Announced at this year's CES this "toy drone" looks like it could be a great introduction to the world of drones for kids and adults without spending a lot of money ($99). Its not a DJI drone but apparently contains some DJI technology as well as some from Intel. It also has a SDK so it could be good to use for STEM education.

https://www.ryzerobotics.com/

Looks like it will be shipping this month (March). There are several reviews on YouTube, here is one from FliteTest

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/dji-tello-the-99-drone-from-dji

Edited by Spitfire76
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 3:24 PM, ryanolivas said:

I agree! It also takes quality shots so you could practice taking videos also.

I actually purchased a secondhand from my friend because he already have a P4 and his tello was already unused for 3 months now. He sold it for $40 and I think it's really worth it. The videos is fine as long as you don't take it from too high.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 12:58 PM, Eric Morgan said:

I actually purchased a secondhand from my friend because he already have a P4 and his tello was already unused for 3 months now. He sold it for $40 and I think it's really worth it. The videos is fine as long as you don't take it from too high.

How about the GPS tracker does it already have a built-in in it?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Yep - one can call the Tello drone a toy and that is a great thing because is well below the 250 grams which means the FAA (or some other countries) regulations are not likely to be applicable to it. Plus, if you have the patience - you can shoot better videos that this:

...and extend the range by using a cheap Wifi Router/Repeater like this:

Compare that to a $500 or more Mavic Mini or an even more expensive Mavic Air 2 :)

• 1 month later...