Bryanne

Can I bring you all up to speed?

Hi everyone from the Sunshine Coast Australia!

My goal is to share my knowledge and bring you all up to speed - I know NOTHING - you are now up to speed!!!

And that is my status - I know nothing - well, pretty much as I don't think having owned a Spark for a week and taken it for a spin around the garden about five times (albeit without mishap admittedly) counts for very much......But we have a farm and so when this patch of rain ends am going to put it through its paces.

Thought I would start with a Spark as not a massive investment if I bury it in the side of a hill or put it into a dam.

Keen to soak it all up. My reading of forum posts to date indicate a lot of people out there with a lot of knowledge which kind of makes me feel like it's my first year at pre-school.

Anyhow, I'm currently researching tablets and I have boiled it down to the Samsung Galaxy TAB S3 (no no, not the S2) - I hope there will be no howls of disagreement with this choice but be honest if you feel I should be warned.

My goal is to start droning as a hobby (and some practical applications as part of that) and see where it takes me. I have always loved videography - maybe just maybe doing drone filming might add the "spark" needed to take things a bit further with that.  

Looking forward to the adventure and getting my wings. 

Edited by Bryanne
tagged location
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum @Bryanne. The approach to start with with a relatively inexpensive UAV is good as you will likely crash but once you feel more confident with flying then you can invest in some more expensive rigs. I can't comment on the tablet as I don't own a DJI (like to build my own) but obviously you want one that has a bright display to use outdoors - cheers Richard 

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 1

Thank you @Spitfire. Yes that crashing thought occupies my mind constantly - both from a cost point of view - and a liability point of view.  Re the display, yes that is a hugely important point (especially for MY eyes) which is why I am HOPING that the "Super Amoled" display which the S3 has will be good for this. Guess there's no real way of knowing until I've bought it.  I know some of the iPads ( I know the IPad mini does) have a "anti-reflective" screen but have not read any reviews of that thus far.  

Wow , super impressed by you building your own drones. Sounds like it has become an all-consuming hobby for you - albeit a great one!  Cheers, Bryan

Welcome @Bryanne and best wishes for your new hobby (and perhaps commercial use).  Glad to see someone very new to this as I am.  Curious as to why not the Galaxy Tab S2?  Have you heard bad reviews of it in this application?  Keep us informed of how you like the Spark as a beginner's drone as you learn to fly.  I recently purchased (and returned) a Syma X5C for that purpose but determined soon enough that it's control functions were not very good, nor was battery life -- thus the return.  I have a Mavic Pro but looking for something to learn with that has that quality controller.  Again, welcome to the community!

Thank you 

On 3/10/2018 at 7:12 AM, Ray Kaforey said:

Welcome @Bryanne and best wishes for your new hobby (and perhaps commercial use).  Glad to see someone very new to this as I am.  Curious as to why not the Galaxy Tab S2?  Have you heard bad reviews of it in this application?  Keep us informed of how you like the Spark as a beginner's drone as you learn to fly.  I recently purchased (and returned) a Syma X5C for that purpose but determined soon enough that it's control functions were not very good, nor was battery life -- thus the return.  I have a Mavic Pro but looking for something to learn with that has that quality controller.  Again, welcome to the community!

Thank you @Ray Kaforey for the welcome. Sure feels like a friendly place to be. And man, is this a slick Forum application!!

As regards the Samsung S2 in fact I did hours and hours of research on tablets and what kept coming up consistently was "don't touch the S2!!!".  .... and that the S3 has no issues. Now of course I am no expert but the whole S2 story could be impacted by versions of GO4 too - ie maybe all is now fine with the current GO4.  I really did not want to go for Apple which I understand is probably the most reliable tab as I want to  use it for non-drone activity as well. 

From what I have read the Spark is a great beginner's drone. It is small which I think is an advantage as it will really force me to learn to control properly - ie learn to use maps and radar properly (as it will probably get out of view pretty quick!!).

Just waiting for the much talked-about Mavic Pro 2 to come which I would love to get if I am still loving the drone thing!!!

On 3/10/2018 at 3:05 PM, Alan Perlman said:

Welcome, @Bryanne! Let us know where we can help. We all start somewhere.

Thank you for the greeting @Alan Perlman!! Hope to be touch with you guys. Am looking forward to really getting things cracking with the Spark if it would just stop raining!!!!

11 hours ago, Steve Bennett said:

Great to see an Aussie in here. Welcome mate. I have many fond memories from my trip there. 

Thanks for the greeting @Steve BennettWhile I am waiting for the interminable rain to stop I am studying Youtube videos trying to get my head around the map and the radar. Maybe I am over-thinking things. But I really need to acquire the confidence that if I panic under pressure (which I am sure will happen the first time Sparky goes out of sight), I will be able to cooly and calmely know where the drone is in relation to my position and get the heading right to bring it back (without RTH ideally :))    

• Like 1