Drizzel

First racing drone - Need help! :)

Hi guys,
I am building my first racing drone. I thought it would be easy as it's not the first radio controlled thing I've built (electric longboard) but apparently a drone is a whole different story :)

I finished the frame as far as I could without obstructing the electronics, but I simply don't know how to connect everything together. Although I already checked with multiple Tutorials and other resources I came to no definite conclusion, so here I am :)

Here's 2 images of all the parts I have, do. you know how to put them together?

Image 1: org_dsc08129-jpg.29343

Image 2: org_dsc08130-jpg.29344

It may be that the pictures contain some unnecessary parts, they're simply leftovers

Thank you,
Drizzel

Hello @Drizel. Although I don't build racing drones I've build a few for aerial video and since they contain similar components I should be able to help. Did you purchase the parts individually or was this a kit ?. I suggest we start with identifying what make and version you have of flight controller hardware. I see that its marked "F3 Racing" but do you have any other information that might help ? 

Hello @Drizzel - Just to add to my previous post you might find this series of YouTube videos by Painless360 a good start. It looks like he uses the same flight controller that you have. This is the link to the first of 9 videos.

This is a later series of videos - this link is the first of 7.

Edited by Spitfire76

thanks a lot already for the video series =)

initially, i wanted to buy the parts as a kit, but hen the reseller didn't ship to my location, so I sourced every part on its own, although theoretically they still are similar to the kit - which is why everything should be compatible. 

Reptile Martian II frame with PDB

racing f3 flight controller

little bee 20A Pro ESC *4

readyToSky RS2205 2300kv motor *4

Eachine TS5828 Transmitter 

FS-i6 transmitter with Fs-IA6 receiver

5.8 GH antenna rx and tx 

5.8 GH rc832 av receiver and ts832 transmitter 

cheap chinese camera :) 

spironet circular polarised 5.8GH antenna

and, of course, a bunch of cables 

that should be everything I have

Edited by Drizzel

Hi @Drizzel - thanks for providing a more detailed list of components as that will certainly help. The first set of 9 videos should help a lot as it looks like his build uses the same flight controller and radio receiver.

My advice is to test as much of the components individually as possible (unit testing). This way you make sure that each components works rather than assembling everything before applying power. An example of this is in the videos as he doesn't add any of the video components until after making sure that it flies well. So for the moment put aside the following.

• Eachine TS5828 Transmitter.
  • 5.8 GH rc832 av receiver.
  • 5.8 GH antenna rx and tx.
  • cheap chinese camera.
  • associated cables.

One thing that I would do that I don't believe is in the video is to perform a calibration on each ESC/Motor without using the flight controller. This not only tests the ESC/Motor but also the radio Tx and Rx. If you have had electric RC planes or cars you maybe familiar with this procedure if not let me know.

Now what about power ?. I did not see a LiPo battery in your list. Also I see that the PDB (Power Distribution Board) that came with the frame likely doesn't have a BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) to provide a stable +5v supply. The +5v can also be provided by an ESCs but it looks like the ones you have are OPTO and so don't have built in BEC.

Seems like I forgot to mention the 3s liPo battery :)

correct me if I'm wrong, but the ESCs can handle 2-4s, so do they still need a BEC? And does the flight controller need a BEC?

Unless the flight controller has a power distribution board a BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit and its where the flight controller gets its power.  The FC usually only take 5.5 volts.

Most ESC's have one built in so the flight controller receives power from the ESC's red signal wire.  Its recommended to power the FC with only one signal wire and that you cut the red signal wire from the other ESC's to avoid ground loop issues.  The nice things about the BEC being a part of the ESC is that it doesn't take up real estate on your drone. 

You can also get a separate BEC to regulate the power for your controller.  Many of the better ESC's are OPTO which means the power used to drive the motor is electrically isolated from the power used for the flight controller.  

13 hours ago, Drizzel said:

Seems like I forgot to mention the 3s liPo battery :)

correct me if I'm wrong, but the ESCs can handle 2-4s, so do they still need a BEC? And does the flight controller need a BEC?

The 3s battery supplies around 11v to the ESCs which in turn powers the motors but you need a stable+5v supply for the flight controller and receiver. Usually you just need to power the flight controller with +5v and it will in turn power the receiver. From the photo it doesn't look like those Little Bee ESCs have built-in BECs as they have 2 signal wires - black (Ground) white (signal) which means they are OPTO ESCs. Some PDBs have built in BECs but I don't believe the one that came with your frame does.

Edited by Spitfire76

13 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

If that's the case you might want to replace your PDB with something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/HOBBYMATE-PDB-XT60-Power-Distribution-BEC-5V

Thank you, interesting that when ordered  in china it only costs half. I might have to come back to you when the parts arrive (along with some xt60 to t plug adapters), but I'm already really thankful for your help, it would've taken ages to figure out this fault on my own (and a second flight controller, as I probably would've fried mine, trying to connect it directly with the battery) ;D

by the way, do I only have to connect the first port of the rc receiver with the flightcontroller or some other channels as well?

Edited by Drizzel
Corrections

6 hours ago, Drizzel said:

by the way, do I only have to connect the first port of the rc receiver with the flightcontroller or some other channels as well?

Actually their is a choice of connections between the flight controller and receiver. You can use a single 3 wire connection but the connection has to be configured for PPM or you can use multiple connections for each receiver channel using PWM. Since your receiver supports PPM I would recommend using it since it simplifies the cabling. Also its whats used in the first series of build videos that I posted earlier in this thread. It just means that both the radio and flight controller configurations should be set to PPM. Also you might find this manual handy. Its also referenced in the videos.

http://seriouslypro.com/files/SPRacingF3-Manual-latest.pdf

Edited by Spitfire76

So, everything arrived and is connected, but cleanflight is giving me issues. Whenever I connect my sp racing f3 fc per usb-cable (and only the board, with only the connection to the computer, and nothing else), cleanflight gives me the error failed to connect to serial port... I should have installed every necessary driver as well, but do you know how to resolve this?

41 minutes ago, Drizzel said:

So, everything arrived and is connected, but cleanflight is giving me issues. Whenever I connect my sp racing f3 fc per usb-cable (and only the board, with only the connection to the computer, and nothing else), cleanflight gives me the error failed to connect to serial port... I should have installed every necessary driver as well, but do you know how to resolve this?

Before connecting you have to tell the CleanFlight Chrome App which serial port to use. The ports should be listed so could you try connecting to each of the other ports to see if any are working.

Just to add to my previous post you can check the "bluetooth & other devices" (assuming Windows 10) settings on your PC to see which COM port is assigned to the "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge" and use it to connect the Clean Flight Chrome App.

Edited by Spitfire76

22 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

Before connecting you have to tell the CleanFlight Chrome App which serial port to use. The ports should be listed so could you try connecting to each of the other ports to see if any are working.

Sadly this is not the case, there is no ports listed, and I'm on windows 7 - i tried out the similar choice for my windows version, didn't work, sadly. image.thumb.jpg.0988068925e3e6edc46487bc94cd3c93.jpg

1 hour ago, Drizzel said:

Sadly this is not the case, there is no ports listed, and I'm on windows 7 - i tried out the similar choice for my windows version, didn't work, sadly. 

Depending on the board it seems to be a bit of a trial and error to get windows to recognize some flight controllers. There are some tools that help like Zadig and so you might want to give them a try.

Edited by Spitfire76

On 3/28/2018 at 9:40 PM, Spitfire76 said:

Depending on the board it seems to be a bit of a trial and error to get windows to recognize some flight controllers. There are some tools that help like Zadig and so you might want to give them a try.

Yeah, I tried that :) i don't know why, but even zadig can't find the flight controller, and I somehow do not have any com ports to choose from in cleanflight. I'm right now trying some different drivers, I'm going to come back to you once I know if this works or not

7 hours ago, Drizzel said:

I somehow do not have any com ports to choose from in cleanflight.

Do you see any new com ports under windows settings under device manager ?. You may want to simply try to have windows install the driver. In other words uninstalled any drivers that you may have installed, reboot your PC and then plug in the flight controller to see if any new ports show up in device manager.

Edited by Spitfire76

11 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

Do you see any new com ports under windows settings under device manager ?. You may want to simply try to have windows install the driver. In other words uninstalled any drivers that you may have installed, reboot your PC and then plug in the flight controller to see if any new ports show up in device manager.

Great thank you, I'm gonna try that when I get back home, right now I'm in holidays :) (finally)

hello im fairly new to diy drones i have everything built and programmed im running a cc3d flight controller it’s programmed with libre pilot but my problem is that when my drone flies it goes insane with the yaw and i've tried everything to fix it but nothing works 

any suggestions or help would be greatly suggestested!!

Edited by zombiex2003

11 hours ago, zombiex2003 said:

hello im fairly new to diy drones i have everything built and programmed im running a cc3d flight controller it’s programmed with libre pilot but my problem is that when my drone flies it goes insane with the yaw and i've tried everything to fix it but nothing works 

any suggestions or help would be greatly suggestested!!

I replied in your separate post

Edited by Spitfire76

I tried everything you suggested, nothing worked. I now switched computer again, so finally the "cannot open serial port" error is fixed. Well, that sounded good to me, but now I get the error "communication with boot loader failed". I tried a software called firmware flasher demonstrator, it failed just like everything else.

Any more ideas?

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I reinstalled all the suggested drivers from the rc manual and the clean flight welcome menu, and changed my USB cable to a high quality cable from Sony :)

thanks so much for helping and advising me, this step is finally done. I might be coming back to you when I flash the ESCs

thanks a lot!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drizzel said:

Any idea why my so racing f3 flight controller does not receive any signals from the rc receiver?

Did you bind the receiver with the transmitter?. Are you using a PWM or PPM connection from the receiver to the flight controller. If you are not sure what I am talking about please take a look at this video. Its number 6 of the 9 videos from Painless360's Beginners Quad Build that I posted earlier in this thread.

Edited by Spitfire76